why both 7 tooth and 8 tooth sprockets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jpl1nh

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2007
Newfields NH
Why does my Stihl 029 Super list both a 7 tooth and 8 tooth sprocket for .325 pitch? Do they both fit the same chains? What's the advantage of each?

Chain drive link count yes. 7 tooth more torque-standard setup. 8 tooth-more chain speed but less torque and therefore more prone to bogging in hardwoods if you lean on it a little. If you've go a rim sprocket setup on the saw it would be cheap to try out both and decide for yourself.

It is sort of like the rear-end ratio in a car - the number of teeth on the sprocket will influence the speed of the chain at a given engine speed, as it will change the number of drive links going past a given point per engine revolution... However unlike the acceleration vs. top speed equation you get with a car, in a chainsaw it's mostly a question of balancing the load on the chain with the engine output at full throttle.

Ideally you'd like to keep the full throttle engine speed within a fairly narrow range, where it produces the peak torque... You would use the smaller sprocket with a heavier load as that takes less power to turn the sprocket - examples might be a longer bar, or a more aggressive chain. The chain will move slower, but with more power

OTOH, if you are lightly loading the saw, either with a shorter bar, or a less aggressive chain, then the larger sprocket would give a higher chain speed, but be more prone to bogging if you lean on the saw to hard.

Gooserider

Thanks, makes sense. I've been running an 8 tooth and it does tend to bog in hardwoods a bit. I'll try the 7 tooth and see how that does.

Status
Not open for further replies.