Why can I edit some threads after I put them in. And some I can't?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gasifier

Minister of Fire
Apr 25, 2011
St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
I obviously am missing something. That is common.;lol

We have had the discussion before about the ability to edit. No need to go there again. But I noticed that sometimes I post a new thread and realize I want to correct a mistake or say it in a more accurate way. And I have no edit button. But I know I have an edit button on some replies I have put into a thread.

What am I missing? Can we only go back and edit a reply? And not a new thread we started.

As you can see, I'm a little slow sometimes. :confused:

Alright. I heard what you were thinking. That's enough. ::P

The permissions settings are quite deep - probably millions or billions of possibilities! My guess is that things are set so that the initial post cannot be edited...at least in some forums. The reasoning is simple - people may have already responded to the post! That said, I'll look and perhaps set a short time frame where initial posts can be edited.

Replies, of course, are a bit more flexible because the original post still stands.

Ehh. No big deal. Most of the changes are my typing, spelling, or I realize I made a bonehead mistake and could have said it a lot better in another way. Don't change the my main opinion in the original post.

I think a Mod can edit pretty much anything...I've fixed lots of thread titles for folks. So if you ever have something you want changed but you can't seem to do it, get hold of me or another Mod & maybe we can fix it for you. Rick

Thanks. Will do.

Mods., can you add an "r" into my thread in the header in "The Gear"? "Pot." should be "Port." - short for - portable.
I can't seem to do this.
Thanks, JB

Status
Not open for further replies.