Why did I buy this firescreen for my Jotul?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I bought the firescreen for my F3CB 2 years ago but have never used it. Not even sure when it would be used. Does anybody use the firescreen with their woodstove? Maybe I'm missing something. I'd chuck it in the trash but paid about $75 for it. I didn't know any better.

I used mine once for about 20 minutes. Then I pulled it off and closed the door.

I can make you a good deal on a second one. You probably lost track of where you put the first one :)

I had one for my old Combifire. The stove was beautiful burning with the screen on. Course it didn't have glass so it was the only way to ever view the fire. Problem was that I had to keep the damper more open than normal to not have smoke spillage and it would burn so hot it would drive you out of the house after 1/2 hour or so. Might have worked well in sub 20 below windchill weather but never tried that.

i use mine if room gets to hot i put screen on for a little, sucks heat out and can enjoy the sounds of fire for a while. also i found on warm days outside say 50 60 degress i use the screen so house doesnt get unbarable hot yet i can still have a good fun fire. i use the bio bricks with screen on they seem less affected with less draft.

I got one years ago with our first Resolute. Likewise, used it a few times out of guilt, then not again. I was never tempted to buy one after that.

At least with the old glassless Resolute it was somewhat justified. With modern stoves, the fireview is so good it's just a waste of heat.

i use mine if room gets to hot i put screen on for a little, sucks heat out and can enjoy the sounds of fire for a while. also i found on warm days outside say 50 60 degress i use the screen so house doesnt get unbarable hot yet i can still have a good fun fire. i use the bio bricks with screen on they seem less affected with less draft. just my 2 cents plus they are expensive so might as well try something.

My stove came with one. I used in once.
I keep it near the stove, like I'm gonna use it, but it just ends up gathering dust.

I want to hire that screen salesman to work for me........

We sell those damned things all the time. Most of the time poeple are wondering the same thing after a year or so. "Why in the heck did I buy this thing..."

FS: Fire Screen for Jotul Oslo :):):)

sits next to stove on hearth waiting...........to be used, haha, had it on 1x and that's it.

I think I will use it to sift the dirt and saw dust out of pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.