Why did you switch to pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P.S.: Besides - the top of the stove is a great place to let dough rise!

It was not a matter of switching for us. We finished our basement and needed a heat source down there. The choices were propane logs or a pellet stove. Since my father in law had pellet stoves, we were somewhat familar with them so the choice was easy. The little Whifield Quest work so well in the basement, we purchased a Whitfield Advantage Insert two years later for our family room.

We use both stoves as supplemental heat with our electric heat pump which works well down to 35 degrees or so.

In 2008 w2ith the price of HHO It was going to cost about 3200 just for a years worth. I was in Home Depot and saw the 25PDVC and was intrigued. It took about two months to convince the wife to go that route and we never turned back. With the price of the stove venting and pellets the first year we were about $100 ahead i now I just laugh as I see to oil truck drive by. I have not bought oil since Jan 2010 and hope not to till after new years again. $500 for two years of oil GOTTA LOVE IT.

Rokal said:
Bank said:
(1) Hated dealing with the constant rising price of HHO.
(2) Love that I can store multiple tons of pellets, can only hold 250 gallons of oil at a time.
(3) I like not being dependent on a foreign country for my heating needs.
(4) Love the look of the stove and a fire.
(5) I can keep the house in the mid 70s and not worry about the cost.

Ditto.

It is extremely stressful knowing that you only have a 275 gallon oil tank and you will need several deliveries in the peak of winter and you are at the mercy of the oil companies. However, even if oil and pellets were approx the same price, I would rather keep the money in this country rather than overseas. I personally feel that oil companies are playing games and artificially inflating demand so they can rip off Joe Consumer.

This ^^ My dh had even talked about using large fuel storage containers (think farm use) to buy oil in lower cost times (if there ever are any) instead of having to buy during peak season. However with our new pellet stove this won't be an issue!! Yay!!

Status
Not open for further replies.