why do I need a chimney liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

STANG32

Aug 18, 2010
CT
ok, this is my situation, I have an unused chimney, never had anything in it, the house was built with a boiler chimney but had electric heat installed so the chimney was never used or even opened. there is an opening in the basement wall where the clay liner is exposed to run an exhaust for a future boiler.
I want to put a free standing stove in the basement about 15' away so my thought was I would run an exhaust pipe to the location of the chimney clay liner & tap into the chimney
is this ok to do. ?

A horizontal run that long is not something that I would do. Check the stove manual for recommended configuration of exhaust .

Reactions: iceguy4
If they chimney is to large the stove will not get the proper draw. The liner of the proper size will allow the right amount of air to be drawn upward. This is my explaination someone may come along and explain it better. Also that horizontal run of 15' maybe a problem.

Reactions: iceguy4
pellet stoves have exhaust pressure blowing out, unlike a woodstove that depends solely on draft

Status
Not open for further replies.