why do inserts need air behind the surround panel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
how do they get air if we make block off plate?
do they just suck air in through the sides?
i talked to pe tech today asking if i could wrap the insert with insulation he said yes i could but if i don't open up the ash clean out i would kill it because the stove needs to get air in behind the surround panel???

On mine it draws air from the outside air inlet behind the stove. If you don't use the outside air inlet, then there is a knock out on the left side of the stove that lets it draw air from in front of the stove. Check the owners manual on the stove and see what it says.

maybe he misunderstood me but i said that too and he said the stove needs to draw air but maybe he assumed i would be covering the knock out hole
but he did say that, that was the only reason they don't mention insulating inserts he also told me to make sure it was rated for high temp
my chimney is interior but does have a ash clean out in the basement i have a boiler and gas furnance but my window has screen so it always stays open (the furnance people put it in
so should i let it draw air from there?
if i use the knock out won't that help circulate air in the house?

Air usually comes in from the front of the insert - like inside the same area near the floor where the convection air enters the unit. No combustion air would or should come in from down the chimney nor from behind the panels....in most units.

Even if a unit had air control in the back or side (and these are normally only for outside air), most panels fit loosely enough to let enough combustion air in - usually about 2 square inches. In no case would the air be expected to come down the chimney to feed the fire!

This is actually MORE reason for the block-off plate, because front panels usually do not seal very well to the brick or the floor.

i think he misunderstood me i am gooing to insulate the sides and top of the liner and use the knock out on the side of it

I think Web explained it pretty well.... but just because I helped a friend with a smaller PE insert (Vista), and I was a little confused about the knock-out holes on the side of the stove myself at first.

This would be assuming the overall layout is the same (I think it is). The air gets into the firebox at the back of the stove. If that intake is connected to an OAK - you could leave those "plugs" in on the side. If not, then you take those plugs out, so the air for the stove is drawn in on the right and left sides of the stove - goes out through the holes, and feed the stove with air. The blower at the bottom is also drawing air from the room, but it goes along a different route - sucked in at the bottom, behind the stove, and out the top.

I don't think you really need to worry about wrapping the stove in insulation - Honestly don't think it would help. You should be making sure the block off plate is good and sealed up well - then the stove will be sitting in a place where it will be able to draw the air it needs, and have the outside (above the damper) colder air isolated from coming into the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.