Why do we have to vacuum?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetsncheese

Jan 2, 2009
Southern NH
This is more of a design question.

The stove has an ash drawer but only the heavy ash in the fire pot drops into the ash drawer. The lighter ash escapes the fire pot with fans and thermal currents then comes to rest on the floor of the stove surrounding the fire pot. Why does the ash around the outside of the fire pot need to be shoveled or vacuumed? Why couldn't the stove be designed where this ash also falls through to the ash drawer? Cleaning the stove would then be limited to emptying the ash drawer and wiping ash from the viewing glass.

sweetsncheese said:

The stove has an ash drawer but only the heavy ash in the fire pot drops into the ash drawer. The lighter ash escapes the fire pot with fans and thermal currents then comes to rest on the floor of the stove surrounding the fire pot. Why does the ash around the outside of the fire pot need to be shoveled or vacuumed? Why couldn't the stove be designed where this ash also falls through to the ash drawer? Cleaning the stove would then be limited to emptying the ash drawer and wiping ash from the viewing glass.
it depends on the stove.

Most pellets stoves are Negative air so the inside of your fire chamber is a VACUUM and light fly ash is sucked up into the heat exchange and down into the ash traps behind the firewalls. the more heavy ash falls into the floor of the fire chamber.
if you stove does not have an large opening to your ash pan then you have to brush the ash into it.

I have an omega and 95% of the ash goes into the ashpan because there is no floor in the fire chamber
the rest sticks to the sides and to the heat exchangers but when I pull the heat exchange scrapper the ash falls behind the brick and into the back chamber of the ash pan.
along with the self cleaning burn pot I do not open the door to my stove for about 50 bags of pellets or even more
I just clean my stove once in the fall and once in Dec. but this year has been COOL and not cold and so far I have burned less that 25 bags of pellets

sweetsncheese said:

You left out the ash that exits the firebox and travels through and around the heat exchangers and the exhaust system. You can't get that ash into the ash drawer because it is very fine and easily transported (sometimes to the air outside of the vent) by the combustion air path which can't empty into the ash drawer or the stove would have trouble burning properly.

As for the stuff that misses the ash drawer and lands around the fire pot I don't vacuum or shovel it, I brush it into the ash drawer. When the ash drawer overflows, I'll run a vacuum in there.

Other than that the vacuum gets used to clean out the exhaust path, the burn pot once scraped, the burn pot holder, and anything that might fall down while scraping.

If I used the vacuum to clean up what lands around the fire pot I'd need a large vacuum. I was only opening the door on the beast once every seven to ten days :bug: .

sweetsncheese said:
Why couldn't the stove be designed where this ash also falls through to the ash drawer?

I'd settle for a design where "ALL" the pellets from the hopper fall into the stove without help from me at 2:30AM.

sculptor said:
sweetsncheese said:
Why couldn't the stove be designed where this ash also falls through to the ash drawer?

I'd settle for a design where "ALL" the pellets from the hopper fall into the stove without help from me at 2:30AM.
were is the "like button" LOL

sculptor said:
sweetsncheese said:

What, you don't like the revenge of the metal fabricators?

Admit it the early morning exercise is good for you and helps with the appetite.

We don't need to eat more this time of year

sculptor said:
sweetsncheese said:

Ahh, The days of the small hopper. Sneaking down the stairs as to not waking the kido. Tripping on the toys left in the hall or stairs. Stubbing the toe and such. All to reach a cold stove you must prime to get it going again. Wait for the thing to catch and start again. Have a smoke while you wait. Head back upstairs trip on the danged toy again. Moise to the kitchen and grab a cookie and some milk. Head back to bed and stare at the ceiling till dawn. Reminds me of the fill the woods stove days. Reason I most wanted the pellets stove.

Nope don't miss them days at all! I got a big hopper now. Holds like 140 lbs. About 2 1/2 to 3 days worth of fuel. Just have to remember to fill the dang thing a few times a week. Or it's trip on the toy and I think you get it. Not fun at all! Maybe some day they will have a level sensor on these stoves. Old and forgetful, I know!

sculptor said:
sweetsncheese said:

I thought that was the purpose of the hopper was to feed the stove, not keep them.

hearthtools said:
Most pellets stoves are Negative air so the inside of your fire chamber is a VACUUM and light fly ash is sucked up into the heat exchange and down into the ash traps behind the firewalls. the more heavy ash falls into the floor of the fire chamber.
if you stove does not have an large opening to your ash pan then you have to brush the ash into it.

I have an omega and 95% of the ash goes into the ashpan because there is no floor in the fire chamber
the rest sticks to the sides and to the heat exchangers but when I pull the heat exchange scrapper the ash falls behind the brick and into the back chamber of the ash pan.
along with the self cleaning burn pot I do not open the door to my stove for about 50 bags of pellets or even more
I just clean my stove once in the fall and once in Dec. but this year has been COOL and not cold and so far I have burned less that 25 bags of pellets

Lucky you then. The only path to the ash pan in the Mt. Vernon is through the burn pot. The fire chamber has a solid floor that collects ~75% of the ash. I suspect the designers want to keep the additional heat generated by the pellet embers in the fire chamber before they become ash.

hearthtools said:
We don't need to eat more this time of year

Speak for yourself, I for one need to pack it on in order to hibernate :lol: .

Last year it was so warm here and I was so busy cleaning the stove I never did get my winters nap in. Been extra grumpy ever since.

sweetsncheese said:
hearthtools said:

Lucky you then. The only path to the ash pan in the Mt. Vernon is through the burn pot. The fire chamber has a solid floor that collects ~75% of the ash. I suspect the designers want to keep the additional heat generated by the pellet embers in the fire chamber before they become ash.

My burn pot is out over a nice large and deep ash pan. The recommended maintenance schedule for my stove says bi-weekly or every ten bags, but it will go a lot longer depending upon the pellets.

hearthtools said:

I got one too! They sure will spoil you. And they really crank out some HEAT too! I still clean mine every week or too. I guess I get bored and need somehing to do. Gotta love this easy living and burn even "crap" pellets with ease.

If I could find a buyer for my Mt Vernon I would consider buying the omega. Not sure If I have a dealer nearby...thats important.

Status
Not open for further replies.