Why do you use thermometers on the insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ExtraHorizons

Sep 19, 2008
This is a really dumb question, but everyone keeps mentioning the "temperature" of the stove or insert.

What is the advantage of knowing the temperature of the insert? Is this something we need to do?

Where do you get these thermometers if I do need one?

Thanks!

It just helps you gauge where your fire is at in the burn process. It also gives you a better feel for how the stove is running... A measureable unit you can use. I like it having it. When my insert hits 425 I start to keep an eye on it... don't want it going much higher, but every stove is different. Ask some users of your insert what they usually run at and go buy a thermometer!

My dealer/installer never mentioned a thermometer. Coming here, it seemed to be something I needed. I just bought a Rutland magnetic thermometer on ebay. Not sure where to put it, right above the door? Anyone else here have a Regency R90?

Do they have a remote stack thermostat for a insert? I'm using a magnetic one i lie on a shelf in front of the window of my VC winter warm small, but it is a real pain. I try to get about 4-500 deg on the window thermometer, what are you guys running your cat inserts at?

I use it for a relative gauge rather than an empirical value. It gives me a good idea of how the insert is performing and what adjustments to make. I also like to look at the cats and the best gauge is to feel the heat coming from the air being pushed through. There are variables that have to be considered when using the thermometer to make adjustments such as: what speed is the fan on, is there a log close to the thermometer, is the bypass open. One time I read 750 on the front of my insert, only because it was a good fire and there was a log burning fierociously right next to the side of the insert where the thermometer was.

Extra,

I have a Jotul 350 insert and the main reason I wanted a thermometer on board was to be sure I was burning in a creosote free range. Most of the seasoned burners on this site know by looking, but in addition, it is helping me get used to my stove. I had to fabricate it to get it to fit on the box next to the door, but it's doing the job of keeping me informed. $10 from the wood stove shop.

ExtraHorizons said:
This is a really dumb question, but everyone keeps mentioning the "temperature" of the stove or insert.

What is the advantage of knowing the temperature of the insert? Is this something we need to do?

Where do you get these thermometers if I do need one?

Thanks!

If you don't have a thermometer on your stove how will you know if you're too hot or too cold?

ran my QF2100 insert a bit too hot tonight - stuffed it with red oak and she took off to 800 - without a t-sat, there could have been trouble. but i killed the air and she cruised around 700 for a while

as Elk told me - the t-statwill help you find your stove's sweet spot

it's just another tool

Our senses can sometimes be subject to faulty analysis.

Take this scenario for example:

1. A 40F degree evening in September
2. A 40F degree evening in January

Now, in PA where I am from, everyone will agree that it FEELS warmer when it is 40F in Jan than 40F in September. The reason being that our perceptions involve many variables.

So, variables in the humidity, temperature, time of year, mood, alcohol consumption, etc can also change your perception of how your stove is burning.

That thermometer doesn't care, rationalize, or interpret as your senses do. (The most important being rationalize)

Essentially, it is just one more tool to help you in determining if you are burning in a manner that is eco-friendly, chimney-safety friendly, and keep-da-house-warm friendly.

pen

I'm a newbie to burning and the thermometer lets me know I'm doing it right. There are some folks here that can judge how they are burning without one, but if you are new to this it is a great item to have, and a must have in my opinion. It's great to know you aren't burning to hot or too cool.

There are also some here that have several thermometers (pipe, front of stove, top of stove, back of stove, etc.). But that is another story entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.