Why does my pellet stove cut in and out during shutdown?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy

May 17, 2012
Canada
howtobuildplans.com
Hi again, Just installed a new exhaust blower/fan (to chimney) on my pellet stove. So when i turned it off and it was shutting down (almost finished) it cut out completely (exhaust fan and convection fan) then came on again after 3-4 seconds, stayed on for a minute then cut out again and on again. Then when it completely cooled down it cut out and stayed off.

What would cause that? A sensor?

Thanks in advance!!

Probably residual heat in the stove heating the sensor enough to turn the fans back on. Make and model of stove might help us to pin it down. You may have to relocate the sensor.

I think I see the problem? The sensor is not taking tightly against the blower housing as it always did. I put stove cement on the blower to seal the join and it is keeping the sensor from contacting tightly against the stove so I am going to move it. Hope it works? Thanks for the advice.

Sounds like you found the problem - way to go!

They use an odd set up in the switch too. It's a traditional hvac fan switch with a plastic casing that is 120 degrees normally closed. At 120 it opens and activates the run cycle. It requires a 10 degree drop to from 120 (110) for the switch to close. Sometimes the switch gets brittle and the pin is opening and closing at many temps in between 100 and 120. Be careful with it...it really doesn't like to be moved around much. Also FYI that's 110v flowing through that baby. Unplug the unit before playing around. If the leads accidentally hit anything metal you'll wipe out that board guaranteed. I speak from years of sloppy experience type learning. Dansons and I were on a first name basis in 2007!

Can I put electrical tape over the vacuum switch to hold it in place? I broke the part of that the screws connect to to keep it in place. Thanks you guys are great.

Status
Not open for further replies.