Why does Regency allow Biobricks but Quad does not?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that there is a market for this type of fuel. Currently there are several MFGs of this stuff. They wouldn't be in business if they couldn't sell it. But...I think this is a pretty small niche market compared to cord wood. I think its gonna end up being a volume thing. To do this for any type of mass market the bricks will go beyond using scrap material and into real trees. Why not burn the trees.

Note: I have no facts backing this up...simply my opinion.

Jags said:
I agree that there is a market for this type of fuel. Currently there are several MFGs of this stuff. They wouldn't be in business if they couldn't sell it. But...I think this is a pretty small niche market compared to cord wood. I think its gonna end up being a volume thing. To do this for any type of mass market the bricks will go beyond using scrap material and into real trees. Why not burn the trees.

Note: I have no facts backing this up...simply my opinion.

Yup; I guess it would depend on just how much waste wood material is available. After that burning wood makes the most sense with the possible exception of urban areas where it might be cheaper to ship and store the bricks.

RI Swamp Yankee said:
At least according to the Biobrick website, Regency allows the use of Biobricks as a wood fuel in it's stoves. When I asked Quadrafire if these bricks were allowable, they said they are not allowed because their stoves have not been tested by the EPA with them. Only "cord wood" fuel is approved.
Can anyone think of a reason why Biobricks (or Envi or any other compressed wood brick) would burn any different than mother natures original cord wood? It seems to me the manufactured bricks burn cleaner and are more consistent than cord wood and should be encouraged as a "cleaner" alternative that also recycles waste material. The ultimate "green" fuel! Yeah, I know they also require more "green" to burn in the way of $$; but putting that issue aside...what do you think?

biobricks throw a lot more heat than wood. The bricks have a really low moisture content thus burn hotter. I have the regency stove and bought it specifically for burning bio-bricks. Surface temp with the bricks can reach 1000 deg. Other stoves start buckling at that temp

Status
Not open for further replies.