Why does stove go out?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Fowler

Nov 6, 2008
Northern Michigan
Harman XXV bought in August 08. Went through two tons of Michigan Wood Pellets, Inc., premium hard wood. Worked like a champ. Never went out on it's own when there were pellets in the bin. The little box displaying the pellet specs on the bags also said "Premium," with the ash content <0.1%.

Just bought a third ton of MWP, Inc., pellets which came in a new type bag with the word "Premium" displayed in huge letters across the bag. However, in the very small box displaying the specs the contents were listed as "standard" (NOT premium as displayed across the bag) and the ash content as <0.3%. The pellets are much lighter in color than the first batch too. And if the ash content is less than 3% then I'm a monkey's uncle.

Of more importance however is the fact that, having gone through only ten bags of the third batch, the stove has shut down THREE TIMES so far, on it's own. Twice while we've been home and once after topping off the bin (half full at the time) and leaving for four hours. The stove was stone cold by the time we got home, so it must have shut down pretty soon after we left.

Beyond the fact that I feel I was a victim of a subtle "bait and Switch," not having much pellet stove experience I have to ask, "What's the deal with the stove going out?"

Billy, you might try posting this in the other forum that is dedicated to pellet and corn burning.

Sounds like you got a raw deal for sure. I'd certainly go talk with whoever you bought from and perhaps ask for a refund. Good luck.

Fly Speck Billy said:
Harman XXV bought in August 08. Went through two tons of Michigan Wood Pellets, Inc., premium hard wood. Worked like a champ. Never went out on it's own when there were pellets in the bin. .....

When was the last time you did a thorough cleaning of the stove?
Always keep in mind, Kinsman Stoves and Hearth Tools, both
say the majority of their service calls are a result of dirty stoves.
If it were mine, first thing I'd do would be to read up on how to
do a thorough cleaning of that particular stove and get it done,
then post back.

<< When was the last time you did a thorough cleaning of the stove? >>

The stove is only on it's third ton of pellets. When you say "thorough cleaning" do you mean opening the back and vacuuming everything there? If so, I have not. Would it need it so soon? Is there something I may be missing when I clean out the ash, scrape the firepot, and vacuum the igniter area inside the small panel under the firepot, which is removed by two screws. I also chip away any creosote which builds up in the pot and scrape the area of the firepot holes.

Fly Speck Billy said:
<< When was the last time you did a thorough cleaning of the stove? >>

The stove is only on it's third ton of pellets. When you say "thorough cleaning" do you mean opening the back and vacuuming everything there? If so, I have not. Would it need it so soon? Is there something I may be missing when I clean out the ash, scrape the firepot, and vacuum the igniter area inside the small panel under the firepot, which is removed by two screws. I also chip away any creosote which builds up in the pot and scrape the area of the firepot holes.

After 2 tons, you should be doing a MAJOR stove cleaning.....everything....including removing & cleaning motors & fans, ash traps, exhaust pipe, cleanout "T", and anyplace you can get with a vacuum, scraper, etc.

My owners manual for my Astoria specifically says to completely clean the stove for it's "Yearly Maintenance (or after every 2 tons)".

As Zeta mentioned, the great majority of service calls and reasons for poor stove performance is that they are DIRTY!

And beyond all that, Harman stoves supposedly will burn any type of pellet. So if it's acting up, it must really need to be cleaned.

Fly Speck Billy said:
The stove is only on it's third ton of pellets. When you say "thorough cleaning"
do you mean opening the back and vacuuming everything there?

Three tons of pellets is a lot and now is the time to do a full cleaning like
the tech's would do if you paid to have it done. I'll be willing to bet money
that your exhaust is full of ash and that's why your stove is going out.

A full cleaniing would consist of everything you've been doing,
and also removing the blowers and cleaning them (I prefer
to use compressed air to do this), emptying your cleanout T, and
brushing out your vent pipe. I would refer to the manual and/or
do a forum search to see how folks with the same stove recommend
doing the full monty. Good luck and get ready to get real dirty!

Fly Speck Billy said:
"What's the deal with the stove going out?"

Are you getting any error codes?
How often to you scrape the burnpot and clean out the ignitor area?

As the others have mentioned already, if you have already burned through two
ton of pellets, more than likely your stove needs a good mid-season cleaning which
includes the blowers and vent pipe.

Please remember cleaning is more than just a good shop vac.

Read your Owner's Manual

The above posts are 100% correct. Get in there and get REAL dirty or pay someone else too.

Eric

CLEAN YOUR STOVE!!!!! I MEAN REALLY CLEAN IT!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.