Why dont we think about the woodstock overfiring?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRanger

Nov 19, 2007
British Columbia
Just curious, someone who lives far,far away from a nuke plant. Well, he suggested that might be an option when it`s time to get rid of the old non-epa gal. Just curious that`s all :coolsmile:

Sorry, not following what you are trying to say here. Could you clarify?

yep-----,todd was kidding me about worrying about the over-firing thing with the newer epa stoves and inserts. said i should get a woodstock, then no need to worry about it over-firing. so i goggled the name and came up with zip.. at least nothing that made any sense?

Any type of stove can overfire given the right conditions, but what I was trying to get at is Woodstock stoves have less of a chance to overfire since they have one air control that can be completely shut down. Many non cats have air control stops so the primary air can't be shut all the way off. I suspect this is done to keep the firebox temp up to that 1100 degrees to maintain secondary combustion and a clean EPA rated burn. Non cats also have open ports for secondary air that travels to those baffle tubes that have no control at all. This is why the same stove installed into different sized chimneys can operate very differently.

www.woodstove.com

Thanks guys: checked out the link,very informative. Don`t think that in the future I will be looking at the cat stoves though.There are 3 four-legged ones running around here that give me enough headaches already :lol:

I`m not really that paranoid about the newer inserts,it`s just a matter of not leaving the house when it is burning for the first couple of weeks till ya understand exactly how it works under different conditions. That is just a matter of a little inconvenience,nothing more nothing less. Anyway,I will get another 2 or 3 years out of the one I have now.

Webmaster said:
You gotta keep that one a while so we can point to you and prove these things can last for decades. Some of them last so long, that the makers end up out of business!

Are you talking about the insert or sonny. %-P

sonnyinbc can i see some better pics of your wood cribs?

Steve: maybe take some better pics for you tomorrow. pouring rain here today. I will post in the picture forum under the title Wood Cribs.

great thanks :) i have to build something in the spring as the tarps just aint cutting it anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.