Why God Invented Wood Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Battenkiller

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2009
Just Outside the Blue Line
14° F right now, going down to about 3°...

... and no power. First time in 25 years I've had to worry about staying warm. P-61 is a marvelous heater, but it ain't doing $hit right now.

And I almost pulled the trigger on a Honda generator this afternoon. :roll:

BK-how's it going in the new house, no power sucks, you have taken a low profile lately.

Tough to find time to post, I've been going 12 hours a day trying to get this place in order. New place is great, though... power or not. It's so well insulated and tight that the temp is still 68° in here after several hours in the teens outside.

Now I know why some folks can get by on less than 3 cord of hardwood. Coldest day (-10°) here I barely used 1 1/2 bags of pellets, most days it's just one bag to keep the place in the mid-70s.

I wonder if one of those cute little Hearthstone Tributes would do the job for me here? Info on the tag from the home builder says I only need a 37,500 BTU heater.

Anyway, I really miss my stove. But I also see why folks like this pellet thing. E-A-S-Y.

Hey... power just came back on. Good thing. I almost had to put a sweater on.

Life sure is tough, ya know? %-P

Not only would that Tribute do the trick, you'd keep yourself warm cutting the wood into the teeny-tiny rounds required to fit in there. Bite the bullet and get a Heritage.

Have your new neighbors been warned about your pyromanical burning-down-the-neighborhood tendencies yet?

Good to hear you are settling into the new home Battenkiller. Not so good if out of power though.

Battenkiller said:
Tough to find time to post, I've been going 12 hours a day trying to get this place in order. New place is great, though... power or not. It's so well insulated and tight that the temp is still 68° in here after several hours in the teens outside.

Now I know why some folks can get by on less than 3 cord of hardwood. Coldest day (-10°) here I barely used 1 1/2 bags of pellets, most days it's just one bag to keep the place in the mid-70s.

I wonder if one of those cute little Hearthstone Tributes would do the job for me here? Info on the tag from the home builder says I only need a 37,500 BTU heater.

Anyway, I really miss my stove. But I also see why folks like this pellet thing. E-A-S-Y.

Hey... power just came back on. Good thing. I almost had to put a sweater on.

Life sure is tough, ya know? %-P

Wow, great to hear from you again, BK, and glad to hear your absence wasn't a new policy, being as how you're a pellet guy now.

I would *so love* it if you got a Tribute so I could benefit from your analytical skills as you figure out how to get the most out of it. Not sure it makes sense, though, since it's not vastly less expensive than the Heritage and doesn't need that much less hearth room/clearances, etc., and it does need shorter and smaller splits, so you have to make a special order if you're not cutting your own. And there's no N/S loading unless you cut the stuff down to 8 inches.

But how wonderful to have such a well-insulated house. Sigh.

Good top hear from you. Nice to be well insulated. I wish my place was.

Flatbedford said:
Good top hear from you. Nice to be well insulated. I wish my place was.

Ditto on all three. You can always burn a truck in the front yard when the power's out. >:-(

amateur cutter said:
You can always burn a truck in the front yard when the power's out. >:-(

I think BK already ran out of trucks.

Good to hear from you BK.

amateur cutter said:
You can always burn a truck in the front yard when the power's out. >:-(

I actually laughed out loud on that one. Got a snicker out of me as well. Bad AC...Bad AC. :lol:

Good to hear from ya BK. It wouldn't hurt you to visit more often (I hate when my mom says that).

Status
Not open for further replies.