Why I needed the OAK (simple math)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joelswork

Nov 9, 2010
central TN
Ok, I thought I could get by without the outside air kit...after all, my house is old and drafty. But after doing the math on the volume of air getting sucked up by that little fan, I realized I need it.

At 140cfm this fan is clearing out a 20x20 room every 23 minutes or sucking the entire cubic feet of air from my house every 85 minutes

20x20x8'ceilings=3200 cubic feet/140 cubic feet per minute=22.85 minutes to empty the room of the heated air

I thought I felt a draft! :bug:

a combustion blower is 72 cfm (approx)>

Eric

I was going on some specs I heard, but even at 72 cfm that is a lot of air! So the 20x20x8 room takes 45 minutes and the 1500 sq ft house takes about 2 hours and 20 minutes.

Yup, it is a lot of air, and what's even worse is the replacement air is colder and that air you just got rid of you likely have heated it already.

Ok so I admit it, I ran mine last season without a OAK. Same situation here, my house is over 100 years old, is drafty, is old, drafty and did I mention old? So anyway this summer I broke down and installed an OAK and really didnt think it would make any difference in my case. Well I was wron....

So anyway it does seem like it has made a small difference in house humidity. Its still dry, but not as dry. I seem to get a better looking flame in my burnpot. So yeah I was stubborn, and yeah I was wrong. Plus the cost wasnt much it was just my labor to install it which had to be custom due to my house and its quirks.

OAK for all !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.