Why I split

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jotul8e2

Minister of Fire
Feb 2, 2008
Ozarks
I was out working on a few big rounds today; getting close to finishing up my stacks for 2020. Mostly I had to bust up a few last rounds into pieces small enough to pick up for the log splitter. One thing about working with a maul, you have time to think.

So why was I out there on a sunny winter day swinging a maul and moving firewood? Well, the money is nice. I work about 30 hours a year to get the firewood I need for my home and shop. This generates savings of $700 to $1,000 a year, depending upon the winter. Tax free too! But the day approaches with grim persistence when I will be unable to work firewood anymore, but I'll be able to pay the electric bill anyway. So it is not just the money.

Today I was out working and working hard. But not once did I have to answer an urgent text message, deal with email, answer the phone, fill out a government form, or endure a conference call. All my arguments were with inanimate logs which I settled by hitting them again with the maul. When I got too winded I sat down until I felt like getting up again. I decided which pieces to set aside for the splitter and which to go ahead and split down into firewood. I decided - no memos required. When I was finished it was finished. The job was done; it was right there in front of me to see and appreciate. There will be no accounting statements, no performance reviews, no buy-ins from co-workers.

I'm a bit tired tonight as I am not really in shape for this sort of thing. But I feel great.

I was out working on a few big rounds today; getting close to finishing up my stacks for 2020. Mostly I had to bust up a few last rounds into pieces small enough to pick up for the log splitter. One thing about working with a maul, you have time to think.

So why was I out there on a sunny winter day swinging a maul and moving firewood? Well, the money is nice. I work about 30 hours a year to get the firewood I need for my home and shop. This generates savings of $700 to $1,000 a year, depending upon the winter. Tax free too! But the day approaches with grim persistence when I will be unable to work firewood anymore, but I'll be able to pay the electric bill anyway. So it is not just the money.

Today I was out working and working hard. But not once did I have to answer an urgent text message, deal with email, answer the phone, fill out a government form, or endure a conference call. All my arguments were with inanimate logs which I settled by hitting them again with the maul. When I got too winded I sat down until I felt like getting up again. I decided which pieces to set aside for the splitter and which to go ahead and split down into firewood. I decided - no memos required. When I was finished it was finished. The job was done; it was right there in front of me to see and appreciate. There will be no accounting statements, no performance reviews, no buy-ins from co-workers.

I'm a bit tired tonight as I am not really in shape for this sort of thing. But I feel great.
Once I started splitting I realized it's the perfect activity to get me outside and help me enjoy the beauty of nature when I probably otherwise would have been sitting inside. There's nothing like being out in the woods on a crisp winter morning with nobody else in sight and a flock of honking geese flying overhead, catching the golden rays of the sun just barely peeking over the horizon. And it's good, honest exercise--the kind that makes you feel a bit of pride and satisfaction to go along with the aching muscles!

Reactions: JimBear and JRHAWK9
In belated recognition of the fact that I keep hurting my back, I've started taking my maul with me on wood scrounges, which lets me throw splits into the truck instead of big rounds.

It's a nice break from the chainsaw, and it gets me swinging the maul more (I might have used the wood splitter on a lot of that if I'd split it at home).

(On the other hand, yesterday when I got into the gnarly local maple, I said 'sod that' and just started heaving rounds into the truck...)

Image1291886304.jpg

The proceeds from an afternoon of trail clearing. I'll probably go back for the rest of that maple.

Reactions: AlbergSteve

Funny I was outside today doing and thinking the exact same thing. To be honest I ruled out the $ angle, if I put the same effort into my "real job" I would net way more than I save.

The escape from the laptop, texts, IM's, Conference Calls, etc. - that I can definitely agree with. In fact I put the laptop down this morning after 4 hours and barely putting a dent into the "to-do" list. I could have grabbed the splitter and been a lot more productive but it was a good day to whack at some big rounds with the Fiskars. The nice part is that my wife fully supports whatever nonsense I come up with next - she knows that if I did not have this escape I would spend a lot more on therapy and medication. Plus she knows that if we were paying for propane I would never keep the house at 72 degrees:)!

Reactions: Hasufel
I like dropping and bucking more than splitting. Still a workout. Still outside. Still rewarding.

I keep the cell phone in my pocket..but on silent just for an emergency.

The modern life is not a replacement for the thousands of years of living in and on the land. It just compliments it for me.

And I thought you were just going to tell us that you were having trouble stuffing the rounds into the stove!