Why is a cord 4 feet wide?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is measured that way because of idiosyncracy. Boy!! Can`t wait till you yanks have to get on the metric bandwagon? I mean the GI`s already been there cause of the places they have been, and your scientists are already using metric. Only the common folk in the US don`t use it. And that is only because your polititicians are afraid to ask you about it. But simple, really, 10x10, and 10x10 and on and on it goes. Or, maybe some one can explain to me how some old english king that had his foot meausred makes more sense?? Not likely? :wow:

because it is ours and we are going to own it we want to diferent/ or difficult either way it is 12 inches to the foot not 10mm to 1cm.
I am so screwed Cause I didn't even stack my wood this year. it is just tossed off the pickup into a pile. (I'm a rebal without a cause) :)

no matter what measuring system you use a cord will still be the equivalent of 2 four foot cubes.

:)

sonnyinbc said:
It is measured that way because of idiosyncracy. Boy!! Can`t wait till you yanks have to get on the metric bandwagon? I mean the GI`s already been there cause of the places they have been, and your scientists are already using metric. Only the common folk in the US don`t use it. And that is only because your polititicians are afraid to ask you about it. But simple, really, 10x10, and 10x10 and on and on it goes. Or, maybe some one can explain to me how some old english king that had his foot meausred makes more sense?? Not likely? :wow:

"Yanks"?!?! "have to get on the metric bandwagon"!?!?!?! "common folk"!?!?!?! Sonny, please tell me this is a joke, or at least just a ruse to attempt to push our blood pressure higher!!?!??! What exactly is it that will make us "have to get on the metric bandwagon"?!?!?! Regardless of how we arrived at the system we use, us "common folk" seem to like it. It is not our governments place to change it "for" us. Funny thing about us "common folk" we tend to cling to guns, religion and measurement systems. Sheesh!

-Sheepdog

Sheepdog said:
...Funny thing about us "common folk" we tend to cling to guns, religion and measurement systems. Sheesh!

Well, I guess that makes me "uncommon", then. Sheesh! Rick

Sheepdog said:
sonnyinbc said:

"Yanks"?!?! "have to get on the metric bandwagon"!?!?!?! "common folk"!?!?!?! Sonny, please tell me this is a joke, or at least just a ruse to attempt to push our blood pressure higher!!?!??! What exactly is it that will make us "have to get on the metric bandwagon"?!?!?! Regardless of how we arrived at the system we use, us "common folk" seem to like it. It is not our governments place to change it "for" us. Funny thing about us "common folk" we tend to cling to guns, religion and measurement systems. Sheesh!

-Sheepdog

Oh, sorry Sheep, was I stirring again. ha,ha, I just can`t help myself. I know, I know, save that stuff for the ash can, but in this case I just couldn`t resist. Not angry are you?? :eek:hh:

It's sonny's hobby, sheepdog. Every January 1st he looks back over all the forum posts for the previous year, and decides how good a year he had by tallying the number of threads he drove into the ash can with his abrasive, taunting, condescending, arrogant babble. Rick

fossil said:
It's sonny's hobby, sheepdog. Every January 1st he looks back over all the forum posts for the previous year, and decides how good a year he had by tallying the number of threads he drove into the ash can with his abrasive, taunting, condescending, arrogant babble. Rick

Now just a minute there Rickster!! Taunting is good, arrogant is okay, babble, is acceptable, but I sure as hell am not condescending!!!! I do love the abrasive compliment though ;-P Okay, so I will try and be more abrasive in the future.

Tfin said:
The length is equal to the standardized length of the ox goad used by medieval English ploughmen; fields were measured in acres which were one chain (four rods) by one furlong (in the United Kingdom, ten chains).

A standard for an Ox goad? Sounds like the rule of thumb thing. I guy could beat his wife with a stick about the size of his thumb. My wife's anser to that was that the lady could shoot the hubby with a gun barrel with the same inner diameter of the stick.

BJ64 said:
OMG..we have an even bigger problem! What about all those people that stacked their wood in an HH? It is not even in a square pile..They are going to freeze!

PIE x (R SQUARED) x HEIGHT= Approx HH, close enough for me. :coolsmile:
(I don't know how you type that on a keyboard).
Snyde

Einstein loved to split wood.....in his spare time.

Yes, metric would be fine--so easy working in round 10's. It is standard in the U.S. military BTW--we used "klics", but weight was in pounds...sorry we can't be perfect.

Now, why the cords are in 4 foot lengths. It's simple and still pertinent here : much of small scale logging in Eastern North America is still hand labor. We use pulp hooks to handle logs ( look it up for a complete explanation ). A 4' log can be handled by the average man ( or woman ) to move the pulp logs. Longer would be difficult, shorter inefficient. I use pulp hooks to move butts or logs for bucking, and carrying. The pulp hook is invaluable for woods work, just got to watch where you "throw" that hook. It hangs off my tool belt when cutting.
Also: pulp mills need a standard length for their boilers and handling machinery. Mills in Norway for example stihl use 4' measures in metric since much of the machinery comes from North America.

That's it. Who took Einstein's office in Princeton ?

Heck, we use metric every day, and lots of people don't even know it. Ever heard of hertz (hz) as in 60 cycles per second (here).

I still think we should go to the frinkle for firewood measurement.

sonnyinbc said:

I get 20 leagues to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it!

Status
Not open for further replies.