Why is a hearth pad called a "Hearth PAD" anyway?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow1

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2008
Eastern MA
Anyone know the history of this name? My wife asked me and well.. I could make up some interesting answers, but....

LADYGO DIVA said:
PAD= pointless after debate
between mars & venus is earth, H in Hearth stands for Hell totally dependent on whether venus or mars persists on the strongest pull or Heat when v&m;come together harmoniously,the general idea being to keep the fire off the floor & burning down the house while trying to keep the place warm.

some types of fire don't = combustion > 98.6 ...... insert mattress P.A.D.

interesting.. probably worth of a little investigation.. i'll go to google, letcha know.. i have a feeling i'll have a slew of ads for hearthpads to weed thru...

Etymology of pad seems to be something with a number of sheets together as in a notepad or for softening contact. 1554 - "a bundle of straw" - lower Germany? But in the 60's pad was used to describe helicopter landing places and since then it seems to have taken on a lot more meanings. Our heat pump sits on a pad too.

Pook, methinks Hestia may visit tonight.

Just a guess on my part, but when I hear folks talk about a pad it's in reference to a hard-packed base on which something heavy often will rest and the pad serves the purpose of supporting that object . . . i.e. a helicopter landing pad, a concrete pad for a building (or heat pump), etc. . . . perhaps the hearth pad is in reference to a hard surface on which the heavy woodstove sits?

Status
Not open for further replies.