Why is my accentra insert loud? is there different ways to install the venting?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tony45power

Jan 16, 2011
longisland ny
I have been rading up some and i think that my harman accentra sucks cold air in from the front of the stove and when needs more it sucks from the chimney???

My stove seam like its always loud. when i turn down the room temp it quite downs for about a min then it gets loud again. I have the room temp all the way on low so i can watch tv w/out the tv cranking loud. i have the temp setting at 80 and feeder on 4.

I also see in the installation manual that i can have 2 vents in the chiminey? one for intake one for vent. right now i just have a 4" vent line going frominsert to top of chimney(2ndfloor)

tony45power said:
I have been rading up some and i think that my harman accentra sucks cold air in from the front of the stove and when needs more it sucks from the chimney???

My stove seam like its always loud. when i turn down the room temp it quite downs for about a min then it gets loud again. I have the room temp all the way on low so i can watch tv w/out the tv cranking loud. i have the temp setting at 80 and feeder on 4.

I also see in the installation manual that i can have 2 vents in the chiminey? one for intake one for vent. right now i just have a 4" vent line going frominsert to top of chimney(2ndfloor)

Any thing with motors on blowers placed in an echo chamber (the fireplace) can really be loud.

You will have to track down what is actually the root cause of the noise and then figure out if there is something you can do about it, or just live with it.

Turn yor blower down to just under half way. Your room air comes from under the stove and out the front vent. Combustion air from the chimney if you have an Oak.

What I don't under stand is I turn my room temp setting to almost off it egts quite at first then loud again after a minute. Is the accentra loude for a insert compared to other manufactors?

tony45power said:

The Accentra is a little on the loud side compared to some others. What you hear is the convection blower. Fast moving turbulent air needs to move over the heat exchanger to transfer warm air into the room. You can turn down the fan but the heat transfer is not nearly as efficient. In the room temp mode, your stove is trying to satisfy the 80 degree setting and automatically adjusts the fan speed to optimize heat transfer. Try turning down the temp setting or switching to stove temp. Just be aware that your stove will not heat as efficiently with the convection fan turned all the way down. I just turn up the volume on the TV and enjoy a nice warm house.

Yes the post above mine is the most accurate. I have the same stove, if you are in ROOM temp the stove will adjust on its own, the feed rate and fan settings DONT mean jack if your on ROOM temp which should really be called AUTO mode. In this mode it feeds and blows heat at a rate to reach the desired temp setting YOU have set. If you dont like the ROOM temp (Auto) mode, then go STOVE temp mode, but then you really have to micro manage the stove in this setting. The accentras are on the loud side when she's cranked up, but she puts out some good heat........ Not much you can really do outside of changing over to STOVE temp mode.......

I keep mine set at 72 in room temp mode with the fan about half way. It's not too loud that way. With your setting at 80 that thing is just trying to reach that temp so it has to crank that room air fan to try to get there. Try lowering your temp setting, and make sure your feed is still around 4.

If you are in room temp mode, it does not matter what your feed rate is set at.

I place a folded towel in front of the intake in front of the stove. The air gets pulled in from the sides. It reduces some noise. Take the decorative grate off the front of the stove where the hot air comes out (2 5mm allens). With the grate off, you can run the fan at a slower speed and get the same air. It blocks to much air. Put it back on when your having company, Its not very pretty. But it does work. HTHs

I run my stove in stove temp mode when I'm watching tv in the room so I can keep the blower on the lower side. During the night when sleeping I switch it over to room temp and let it eat. The stove is pretty damn loud though. I wish there was a good way to quiet it down. The in-laws Harman freestand is much quieter than the insert.

I have experimented with air filters to cut down on the noise and also pick up dust. A little fiberglass insulation under the front shelf will cut down on the noise.

lecomte38 said:
I have experimented with air filters to cut down on the noise and also pick up dust. A little fiberglass insulation under the front shelf will cut down on the noise.
Wow! Do you realize you are probably blowing fiberglass dust around your living room? That is a health hazard.

BDPVT said:
lecomte38 said:
Wow! Do you realize you are probably blowing fiberglass dust around your living room? That is a health hazard.

He cannot hear you due to the excessive noise that has emitted over time by his stove.........

Do you mean that the air filters I am using that are designed for oil forced hot air heat systems are really killing me?

lecomte38 said:
Do you mean that the air filters I am using that are designed for oil forced hot air heat systems are really killing me?

Of course not. Air filters sound like a good idea. But if your Accentra is like mine, placing fiberglass under the front self would put it right in the distribution fan air flow. Did I misunderstand?

Status
Not open for further replies.