Why is my cap shifting? Pic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MeLikeUmFire

Sep 17, 2009
Lapeer, Michigan
My cap has done this now twice this season. It pops up off the crock and shifts to one side. I have two theories:
1. My liner when it heats and expands pushes it up and out of place.
2. I do not have a block off installed yet..maybe the warm air is occas pushing the cap up.

IDK...opinions

Attachments

• 2012-01-14 13.58.48-1.jpg
    2012-01-14 13.58.48-1.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 362
My guess would be heat expansion. Mine is doing somewhat the same thing only it breaking the caulk under the plate. Installer is going to fix it when he cleans it in the spring.

fv

Could get a masonry bit and sink a couple Tapcons in there... that orta hold it down.

MeLikeUmFire said:
My cap has done this now twice this season. It pops up off the crock and shifts to one side. I have two theories:
1. My liner when it heats and expands pushes it up and out of place.
2. I do not have a block off installed yet..maybe the warm air is occas pushing the cap up.

IDK...opinions
Secure it.

Have you had as much wind there as we have here?

Its possible that high winds caused enough of a pressure differential to pop that cap up a bit.

Back when hurricane Ike's remnants blew through Ohio a few years ago, opening the garage door let in enough air in that there was enough pressure to pop both my attic access panels up and out of place.

-SF

Ya, you need to seal that down. You might want to remove the cap and top plate(thats a crazy looking cap by the way)and take a bit of the length off that liner, then put a bead of silicone down under the top plate. I think this will take care of your problem.

If it was me, I would loosen the clamp band on the liner, lift up the top plate, put a bead of silicone caulk around the top of the flue tile, sit the top plate back on it and then give the liner a little tug to keep it snug while I re-tightened the band clamp.

Another thing you should consider doing is blocking that flue off at the top. You can get ceramic wool from a local hearth shop, use big wads of this to not only prevent heat from escaping, but also to keep the liner centered until the silicone dries.

I am suprised you don't get water dripping down your chimney with those cracks in the crown!
Mine had alot smaller "hairline" cracks last year, and water would run down the chimney and seep through the mortar joints on the inside of my chimney.

I had the same problem with the crown and water leaking. Fast set croncrete before winter.

I agree with the tapcons and also some silicone on the bottom of the plate. While you are up there caulk those cracks until spring when you can recrown.

Status
Not open for further replies.