Why is my Fir Hard to Split?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bcnu

Dec 1, 2006
I'm hand splitting pieces of fir that are about 20-24 inches across and 16 long. It's acting like some of the elm I had - instead of splitting clean through it shreds off and hangs together. It's taking numerous blows. It's been down a few months. I cut some last summer that was down longer and it was a delight to split. Is it because the wood is dry or would it help to put a new edge on the maul or???

Like you say, usually fir is easy to split. Is this Doug Fir? Maybe you've run into a firelm tree?

My best guess is the Fir isn't dry enough yet, it's somewhat green still. I burn almost exclusively Doug Fir and some other Fir species and I can tell you that somewhat damp Doug fir can be a bear to split.

Have you tried a conditioner? :down:

Status
Not open for further replies.