Why is my glass getting dirty?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kobudo

Sep 10, 2008
MN
Hi.

I have a new Castine. I went through the break in process in late spring then had a couple of fires this past weekend.
After the break in process the glass needed to be cleaned so I took care of it with some Rutland's cleaner. It was dirty again after 2 fires this weekend. I cleaned it again and removed about 90 percent of the black soot but some I couldn't remove. It is supossed to "airwash" and I did see the air moving in back of the glass but to no avail.

In a nutshell, which is a fairly accurate description of many of us here, %-P the small, infrequent and cooler fires of each end of the season tend to blacken your glass. Once you're using the stove regularly for more serious and hotter burning, assuming your wood is well seasoned and dry, you shouldn't have a problem.

Sooty glass is caused by either....a low burning fire and or damp wood.
How hot did you get the stove going? My Oslo blast'in away between 500-600 bakes off anything on the glass.

WoodButcher

We only got the stove up to 375*. The low only got down to about 38* after being 55* during the day so we didn't want to create a sauna.

Is there product a little more abrasive than the Rutland glass cleaner? I would really like to remove the black residue that I couldn't get off.

Bite the bullet and slog your way through the links to previous threads I posted for you. This has been discussed ad naseum. You'll find references in those threads to everything from distilled water to Windex to oven cleaner to steel wool to razor blades. Lots and lots of great ideas from people with first hand experience. Rick

kobudo said:
Is there product a little more abrasive than the Rutland glass cleaner? I would really like to remove the black residue that I couldn't get off.
Forget buying products, just use ash. Get a bit of kitchen roll, damp it slightly, dip it in the ash and rub that on the glass. Wipe it off with dry kitchen roll.

We have used single edged razor blades for the past 20 years - no cut fingers and lots of clean glass

Status
Not open for further replies.