Why is my stove getting so hot on such a small load?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ansky

Feb 18, 2013
central CT
I'm not complaining, more curious.
Last night was pretty warm, mid 30s so I only loaded the stove half way before bed. This morning, only a few hot coals were left...not too much at all. I grabbed some small splits and a few smaller 1-2" rounds to get the fire going again. I raked what's left of the hot coals to the front and put the 4-5 smaller pieces of wood on the coals. After a few minutes the fire started up, and within 20 minutes I had the air shut all the way down. After an hour, this is what I had. A lazy fire, no secondary action, but hot stove temps at about 700*.

He wood was well seasoned, and some of the small splits were even borderline a bit punky, but dry. I guess that wood just burns really hot and fast, but I was shocked to see the temp get that high with such a small load.

Here's some eye candy of the situation...

e2339fa42e0bbd6cd2f895f9c78eb043.jpg

089b424a2bd9e3ff2bbeedf669d83d1e.jpg

407a00677238e5d91cdc44380bd13a24.jpg

I have experienced the same thing with my 550. Based on my limited experience, I think the quantity of wood is more closely related to burn time than temperature. In other words there is no reason you can't get hot temps with a small load, it just won't burn for long. Also, you shouldn't expect hotter temps just because you load more wood, but you should expect a longer burn time. I regularly see 700° temps too. It is definitely approaching the upper limit but I don't think it is a problem. I once got it over 800°, and the forward-most burn tube had a faint glow...

Reactions: Ansky
Smaller splits burn fast and hot, from what i can tell of your split arrangment in your stove you have them criss crossed which will give the splits even more air to burn hotter, plus 30 outside isnt cold. Good luck.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Smaller splits burn fast and hot, from what i can tell of your split arrangment in your stove you have them criss crossed which will give the splits even more air to burn hotter, plus 30 outside isnt cold. Good luck.

Yeah, I purposlly criss-crossed them to try and get the fire started from just a few hot coals. I guess it worked!
Everything you and newcometd said makes sense. I was just surprised to see it that hot, so quickly with such little wood. This stove does seem to run hot. When I burn larger loads and when the secondaries fire up, there's no way the stove will be less than 700. I'm starting to get used to being in the 750* range. I've heard others on this board with this stove say that it likes to run hot, so I guess it is what it is.

We many times get our stove to 700 with just 3 splits. This is why in spring/fall we will many times put in some wood in mid or late afternoon but not add any more until morning. The house will usually still be well over 70 in the morning. A couple splits if it will be cool and damp otherwise we then just let it go out.

Reactions: Ansky
Status
Not open for further replies.