Why it is a good idea to stay ahead on your wood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianN

Feeling the Heat
Aug 30, 2012
Central BC
Three weeks ago I began building my wood shed. All was going good.
Wood shed.jpg
I was finishing up the siding, but, decided that I was going to head to the hardware store to get the wood for the roof when my wife asked me to do a minor job for her. Which, included using an exacto knife. Well, being in a bit of a rush, I decided I was going to do this job quickly and took a "short cut" (no pun intended). I ended up in the emergency room about 15 minutes later, where, after about two hours, I hobbled out with about 20 stitches in my leg about six inches above my knee.
To this day, the wood shed sits as it was, and I am no where near recovered from my wound.
Good thing I have enough dried wood to get me through next year, as I do not see myself getting the shed filled up.
Moral(s) of the story:
Keep your wood supply up. Don't take short cuts, especially with sharp knives.

Three weeks ago I began building my wood shed. All was going good.
View attachment 158674
I was finishing up the siding, but, decided that I was going to head to the hardware store to get the wood for the roof when my wife asked me to do a minor job for her. Which, included using an exacto knife. Well, being in a bit of a rush, I decided I was going to do this job quickly and took a "short cut" (no pun intended). I ended up in the emergency room about 15 minutes later, where, after about two hours, I hobbled out with about 20 stitches in my leg about six inches above my knee.
To this day, the wood shed sits as it was, and I am no where near recovered from my wound.
Good thing I have enough dried wood to get me through next year, as I do not see myself getting the shed filled up.
Moral(s) of the story:
Keep your wood supply up. Don't take short cuts, especially with sharp knives.
This is why I keep several year supply on-hand. You just never know when you won't be able to cut for any number of reasons.

That being said, I did something similar over a week ago except it was with a sharp piece of tin WHILE I was splitting/stacking wood. Probably could have used stitches but the location permitted use of butterflies so I avoided the ER (still down for the count for a couple weeks).

The lesson for you....
Wear chaps when using exacto knife!!
Now you know

I had the same "short cut" experience (years ago), only it involved a utility knife, vinyl siding, a thumb, and a severed tendon. I remember thinking if I could only reverse time for a couple minutes.

I had a small incident with the 3 pt hitch on the tractor last summer. Gee, who would have known that you shouldn't stick your finger in the connections to make sure they are lining up perfectly AND hit the down lever at the same time. Luckily, I only lost 1/2" but 8 hrs in ER plus another 8 over the following month changing dressing. They gave me a choice of cutting another 1/2" of bone off so they could pull the skin together and stitch it or just let me bleed to death. I chose the latter. :oops::oops::oops: Sorry, no pix - - I know you guys will be asking.==c
Lucky it wasn't 'that' finger.

The bigger picture is that you're ok.

Any lesson you can walk away from is a good one.

Ya, that's true. I'm okay, but, my ego is a bit bruised. I hate doing stupid things that I know I shouldn't do.
Still can barely climb stairs, can't descend stairs. Can only sit for short periods of time, lay down for little bits. Can't walk too far, can't bend at my knee. Can't work, can't fish...

I had the same "short cut" experience (years ago), only it involved a utility knife, vinyl siding, a thumb, and a severed tendon. I remember thinking if I could only reverse time for a couple minutes.

About a second before the blade broke, and the fresh, sharp blade sliced through my leg, I thought to my self, "I really shouldn't be doing this". Then, as soon as it happened, I looked down, saw the nice cut in my jeans, pulled them back and even a nicer cut in my leg. As I saw the whiteness of the sheath in my leg moving, I was wishing I could just go back half a minute and listen to myself.
Hindsight is always 20/20.

My thought right before was, "I shouldn't be doing it like this, but only this once". On the plus side, nice sharp cuts are easier to stitch up.

Glad to hear you are up on your wood! Sorry to hear youre gimped for a bit. Not being able to fish will suck but that will make you want it more once youre all mended up. The wood shed is almost done so it wont take you to long. Heal quickly!

Reactions: Diabel
I took a "short cut" last fall on the stairs, next morning I was in the ER, after that I was on the couch for 1 solid week, 4 weeks after that I was still in pt, after that it snowed and stuck around until the end of march, thank god I was ahead on my wood supply.

Like that night I was sitting at the desk with the razor blade utility knife cutting insulation and thought "Don't do anything stupid.". Two minutes later there was blood all over the place.

Like that night I was sitting at the desk with the razor blade utility knife cutting insulation and thought "Don't do anything stupid.". Two minutes later there was blood all over the place.
Yup, just like that. Only, there wasn't a lot of blood, surprisingly.

Ouch - hope you get back up & going soon.

I also got a couple years ahead last year for I think the first time. Aside from being a good thing if something bad happens, I am finding it just takes the pressure off for the next year. I haven't even been to the woods yet, the hard winter here added some things around the house to my to-do list so I can wait a while and not have to worry about the wood not being dry enough when burn time comes.

I'm itching to get the saws running though....

Two good lessons:

1. Being ahead on wood is an insurance policy;
2. Working fast with dangerous tools can lead to injury.

Thanks for sharing and best wishes for healing up.

Reactions: BrianN
I was hoping to cut wood all summer, Well a stent in my heart in May (#5) And today surgery for an anerism, and surgery next week for another anerism. 6-8 week recovery. There goes my summer. Maybe in the fall I'll get to cut. I do have enough wood for the winter, was hoping to get a head

When you are 60+ sharp objects should be taken away from you.
Well I'm 67 and you had better bring along a couple of big huskies if you want to take all of my sharp tools.

I know what you mean. Broke my femur 6 weeks ago. I'm still not able to walk. Figure I won't be able to do any wood work until Dec/Jan time frame. Luckily next years wood is already stacked and drying for 6 months.

Attachments

• 20150427_104420.jpg
    20150427_104420.jpg
    338.9 KB · Views: 203
A guy I work with told me one time years ago, " If you don't want to get bloody, cut towards your buddy" may not be relevant but I always say that in my head whenever I use a razor knife. Get better soon!

Hey it could have been worse, like a few inches higher_g

Status
Not open for further replies.