Why me Lord ! Lopi Leyden smokin......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muss

Feeling the Heat
Feb 26, 2008
Embden, Maine
tds
Just fired her up 1/2 hour ago & i'm having a hell of a time. Smoke is just pouring out the front . Thought maybe it was the burn off from the spray i did after the clean up. I sprayed like a mother all over the inside. So i just shut it off ): . The smoke is not heavy . My exhaust is only 18" straight out & a couple months ago, i went right up in it from the outside with a backscratcher & brought some serious chunks of solid ash out. Wondering if i went in too far & did something too it ? The wind today is blowing right in my exhaust. Any advice folks ? Muss

muss said:
Just fired her up 1/2 hour ago & i'm having a hell of a time. Smoke is just pouring out the front . Thought maybe it was the burn off from the spray i did after the clean up. I sprayed like a mother all over the inside. So i just shut it off ): . The smoke is not heavy . My exhaust is only 18" straight out & a couple months ago, i went right up in it from the outside with a backscratcher & brought some serious chunks of solid ash out. Wondering if i went in too far & did something too it ? The wind today is blowing right in my exhaust. Any advice folks ? Muss

Yes if you have a leaf blower with vacuum, give it the ole leaf bower routine, install an OAK, and if you don't want to install an OAK build a wind screen for the vent, and for heaven sakes you aren't terminating that vent improperly are you?
Now what did you spray the ever loving crap out of the stove with?

Is the exhaust blower working?

richkorn said:
Is the exhaust blower working?

That's a good one also, stove shouldn't fire up if that isn't working I'd hope .... but the way things are going here one never knows.

Hey muss, you still with us?

The smokes going to take the path of least resistance, so if the exhaust blower is working I would think it should find its way outside - unless the vent is somehow blocked. Maybe a squirrel napping in there?

just came back in from outside. Was up to my shoulder in the straight exhaust & it was clean. I've had the same exhaust for 4 years , that's when i had the stove installed. It was a hell of a learning curve i'll tell ya. Every year there seems to be at least one thing i have to work on. My ignitor chit ta bed 2 years ago & you folks showed me how to replace it , it's on my to do list cause i ain't pullin' out anytime soon. I'm gonna give it another shot in a couple hours. I dunno, maybe it's the wind up the poonshoot ? Still dry graphite burn off ?

muss said:
just came back in from outside. Was up to my shoulder in the straight exhaust & it was clean. I've had the same exhaust for 4 years , that's when i had the stove installed. It was a hell of a learning curve i'll tell ya. Every year there seems to be at least one thing i have to work on. My ignitor chit ta bed 2 years ago & you folks showed me how to replace it , it's on my to do list cause i ain't pullin' out anytime soon. I'm gonna give it another shot in a couple hours. I dunno, maybe it's the wind up the poonshoot ? Still dry graphite burn off ?

If in playing in the exhaust you pushed crud into the combustion blower you could have things plugged up a might, which is why I mentioned the leaf blower.

Gonna stick a vacuum hose up there, hopefully that'll do the trick. Crud up the exhaust into the blower motor sounds plausible. I was in there up to my shoulder so i coulda pushed some in there. Push comes to shove, i'll try the leaf blower trick. Glad YOUR still around Smoke !! :)

I'm guessing it was the wind forcing the exhaust back into the stove. Just one more reason to have some vertical pipe on a pellet stove.

imacman said:
I'm guessing it was the wind forcing the exhaust back into the stove. Just one more reason to have some vertical pipe on a pellet stove.

Or an OAK on the same side

SmokeyTheBear said:
imacman said:

Or an OAK on the same side

Works for me. We get a whole lotta strong winds up here, and my stove vents on the windward side. I believe that without the OAK, I would have some major problems. As it is, I notice no problems no matter how strong the wind blows. Anticipating this is why I insisted on an OAK, when the installer didn't want to install one. The stove is its own little system, independent of the pressure or lack thereof in the house.

heat seeker said:
.....Anticipating this is why I insisted on an OAK, when the installer didn't want to install one. The stove is its own little system, independent of the pressure or lack thereof in the house.

You're a smart person.

imacman said:
heat seeker said:
.....Anticipating this is why I insisted on an OAK, when the installer didn't want to install one. The stove is its own little system, independent of the pressure or lack thereof in the house.

You're a smart person.

Thank you! It takes one to know one... :coolsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.