Why Not buy A PE Alderlea T5

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdurando

Feb 24, 2008
Hamilton NJ
Ok Currently I have an old intrepid that dose a great job heating the room it’s in but I want to stop burning natural gas for heat all together. This means I need a larger stove. I have narrowed my search down to the PE Alderlea T5. I have also considered the Jotul F500, the Quad Isle Royale, The Harman Oakwood, and the Lopi Leyden. After doing my research I have decided on the PE T5. My house is only 1200 sqft so I think the T6 would be to much. The only concern I have is that I have not seen many threads about the T5 and I would like to know if there is any thing you guys don’t like about it, or any problems you have had.

Also one of the dealers in my area is asking $2199 for the stove in mate black dose that sound about right?

Thanks

John

T series stoves are great. If your BTU need is within range, go for it.

I can't speak for burning in the T5, but did get a chance to look at one. I think it stands a good chance at being a winner. It has a deep firebox with a fair amount of room. The construction is just as stout as the T6. All reports for the Spectrum and Classic, upon which the T5 is built, are very good. I would expect the Alderlea T5 to be a great stove. The Jotul F500 is also in this class, if you can get a good price on it and like it better, I don't think you'd do wrong with it either. The Isle Royale is a 3 cu ft stove and probably would be oversized for your 1200 sq ft unless it is as leaky as a sieve.

The Spectrum/T5 firebox has a cool draft adjustment mechanism where you actually have control over the secondary and primary air supply with the single lever. Reports are that the T5 burns longer than the T6 but with lower overall heat output. I believe that Tom Oyen (thechimneysweep) has one at his home and he has the pick of the litter.

It is my birthday. The guests have left, and my wife has retired. So, what do I do? Slide upstairs to the home office and log on to hearth.com.

The Alderlea T5 is built on Pacific Energy's flagship firebox, which is known In-House as the D1 and advertised by their marketing people as the Super Series firebox. If you took the original non-catalytic clean air stove, the Kent Tile Fire from New Zealand, and tweaked it to the max, this is what you'd get: record burn times, clean viewing window, floating firebox, plus plus plus

(it's my birthday, I've had a bit of Woodward Canyon Cabernet, so please forgive the hyperbole).

Between my showroom and my house, I have personally burned 65 different woodstoves. The first was a 1976 vintage Petit Godin from France, and the most recent (no. 65) was a Pacific Alderlea T6, which is now heating BeGreen's house. Of all those 65 models, I chose a PE Super Series Spectrum to heat my home.

There are three techniques that create a clean enough burn to pass EPA testing: catalytic technoloogy. downdraft technology, and the non-catalytic reburn technology used by the legendary Kent Tile Fire which set the industry on its head a couple of decades ago. Of the three, I have chosen PE's technology, which takes the Kent model and tweaks it to the max.

The Alderlea T5 combines the tweaked-up Kent technology with the advantages of a cast iron outer shell. The unique trivet top and ash removal sytem are bonuses.

Fact: I have submitted over 300 responses to queries on this website, and I've never gone so far as to recommend a stove that I sell.

Well, it's my birthday. Buy the Alderlea T5.

Wow Happy Birthday Tom and thanks for taking the time to make such a stone recommendation. I have been thinking about this for a few weeks now and I am going to look at one this weekend but I think the people on this site have succeeded in helping me make up my mind, thanks everyone for the replies. I will be sure to post again when the deal is done and again thanks.

Happy Birthday Tom! Looks like we need to keep you better supplied with cabernet :)

You've all convinced me too the Alderlea is the way to go. But has anyone done much cooking on the T5 or T6? Wondering how it cooks compared to the old style cookstoves.

I chose the T5 based on personal research and reading posts here... it was just installed yesterday so I really can't report on its performance yet... it sure looks pretty, though! I attached a pic... hopefully it will come thru ok. I'm excited about revving it up this fall!

Happy Birthday Tom: and that would be the 59th, right? May you have many more fifty nine`s. you are the best of the best.

Now stop being a workaholic// :cheese:

Nice job Elfin. Not too often do we see the glossy tilework. I've been burning most all day the last few days while the storms from Oregon come up into our area. You can surely burn one fire....

I see you used a little stovepipe adapter between the stove and the main connector pipe section. Why? Did it allow you to fasten it more securely?

That has to be one of the fanciest tile jobs I've seen in a long time. Is this all new work? It looks like it could be straight out of a Victorian parlor. Really nice job Elfin, it shows off the stove beautifully.

For posterity's sake can you post a few more in the Perfect Picture forum?

Totally awesome shots. You should be quite proud. Are you a professional tiler or just doing this for fun?

Thanks, BeGreen... I'm not a pro, just a homeowner with a fixer-upper who loves to tile :)

Status
Not open for further replies.