Why not recycle our pellet bags

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We use some as garbage bags, and then at the end of the week when we go to the supermarket we take whatever of them that have not been used and put them in the bag recycle bin.

Pellet-King said:
My bags go right in the recycle bin.

same here-
they will take the empty pellet bags, but not the plastic shopping bags..

MassPelletburner said:
Most Pellet Bags are made from number 4 plastic, With single stream recycling here, they get tossed into the BIG GREEN BIN. But I did have to throw one in the trash the other day - it held the remains of 2 red squirrels that had moved into my garage for the winter. Pulled out my sons Pellet gun and took aim. First shot missed and smashed my wifes vacation Mr Coffee, Turned around and critter # 2 was sitting on my 3 tons of Lignetics, To shoot or not to shoot that was the question. Bang another miss, had to mark that bag with a red marker for later sifting, For all You animal lovers out there - Trapped them twice before in a have a heart but 3 holes later in the garage face board set me over the edge and to see them running all over my pellet stack was the straw that broke the squirrels back. Sorry no trophy Pics - I did consider mounting them and placing them on top of my stove with a big Green Team Pellet between their paws but the bride nixed that idea. Good News...all is quite in the Garage now, Bad news... someday I'll have to tell the bride about Mr. Coffee.
I got a trophy pic for you

Attachments

• MonsterSquirrel.jpg
    MonsterSquirrel.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 283
Pellet bags have many uses. I use mine when cleaning out cat litter box. They are also a perfect fit to turn a 5 gal. pail into a trash container. I even put about 50# of gravel in 4 bags and used them for weight in the back of the truck when it snowed. they held up pretty good. then i took them and put them in feed sacks. BY fall i am just about out of bags then it starts all over!

Shred them and burn along with the used motor oil? No. Not really. ;-P

OldScrap said:

Ah, then you must have one of the newer nuclear pellet stoves aka the disintegrator model PU-239 Earth Demodulator ;-).

We have single stream recycling and can just dump them into the dumpster.

SmokeyTheBear said:
OldScrap said:

Ah, then you must have one of the newer nuclear pellet stoves aka the disintegrator model PU-239 Earth Demodulator ;-).

We have single stream recycling and can just dump them into the dumpster.

Actually it's a 1000-SUX Forest-Be-Gone with optional yarder attachment and gravel mill.

I just wad as many as will fit into one bag and repeat. Then as the year goes on I use them one at a time in the pantry to stuff all the other soft plastic and store bags into. You would be amazed at the percentage of your trash is soft plastic. They stuff down really well without ripping and I staple the top shut when its stuffed full. I take it to Hannafords Supermarket locally whenever I happen to go there.

Actually, is there a general rule for this type of plastic bag? We use ours for garbage and they last well after the heating season.

Here we have single stream re-cycling and I think we're asked to put put in hard plastic "labelled 1-7", papers and aluminum cans, but no plastic bags. Those transparent bags from supermarkets we just return to the special bins inside the store when we have a bunch of them. Pellet bags are much heavier, of course, but do you treat them as basically just transparent plastics like the kind used for groceries?

Status
Not open for further replies.