1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Why open the damper after putting in more wood?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by DeanBrown3D, Oct 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeanBrown3D

DeanBrown3D New Member

Loc:
    Princeton, NJ
    I'm new to my VC catalyst fireplace, and I am wondering why my instructions say to leave the damper open for 15 minutes every time I add new wood (to a hot fire). My only guess is that if I left it shut,too much smoke would get the catalyst and overheat it, but I don't really know.

Do you guys all do this or not?

Thanks!

Dean

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    My manual says the same thing, but also state it is to drive off any moisture in the wood to prevent thermal shock to the cat. Not good for the cat. Also says smoke will poor out the loading door.
  3. DeanBrown3D

DeanBrown3D New Member

Loc:
    Princeton, NJ
    I don't mean while the loading door is open, I mean after I have put wood in and closed the door, I'm supposed to leave the damper open for a while.
  4. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

Dean the damper is the by pass to the cat all the smoke and moisture when starting a new log will clogg that cat up and render it useless. A cat does require more attention
    however inorder to get the new logs in proper buening situation the damper should be open in most stoves cat or non cat.
    What i do is open the cat 30 seconds first then add the wood this prevents smoke spillage into you room if you open the door dampered down
  5. Roospike

Roospike New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Nebraska
    Right , Cat or non-cat stove when reloading new wood you need to keep the damper open ( full open , half open ) to char the new load of wood . Over all at what ever the secondary burners is doing you will get over all performance out of your stove , out of your wood and the control temps of the stove . Reloaded wood that has not been chard will lag down and become a turd and sometimes it will kill your fire and smother your coals and coaling wood.
  6. Roospike

Roospike New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Nebraska
    Hahahaha .........

I dont know if you help any newbes with that come back or made it worse. But at least an A for effort .
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.