Why rake coals forward?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pertzbro

Feeling the Heat
Aug 2, 2016
NW Iowa
I'm assuming to be closer to the primary air inlet? Why not spread them out evenly within the firebox before reload?

Pulling them forward gets them into the combustion airflow entering the firebox.
That air will get heated & ignite your reloaded wood.

Also, contact with coals along the entire length of your new load can cause overfire at worst, or just burn up the load too fast. Allows the new load to burn from front to back, rather than all at once.

I rake forward to ignite a reload. I spread them out and lay 1 row of smaller splits on top if I want to reduce the amount of coals in the firebox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, contact with coals along the entire length of your new load can cause overfire at worst, or just burn up the load too fast. Allows the new load to burn from front to back, rather than all at once.

I have an insert, so I'm pretty restricted to E/W loading, so unless i dont have much coals, the coals usually run the entire length of the log. Not sure what constitutes an overfire besides STT's being over 750 or glowing, which I cant measure on an insert, I usually let fire completely engulf everything in the box, char it black and then pull primary fully closed for a few seconds and then I push back in a tiny bit. 15min later if secondaries are roaring i fully close it down. Front log usually gets a baseball size hole eaten through it right in front of dog house after 30min and then the primary air gets pulled through to the back log and flows over top log. Due to firebox size and orientation and the size of my splits i can usually only get 3 splits in. 2 medium ones on bottom and one medium/small one on top sitting between the bottom ones.

I rake them forward and then stick a split on top of the pile makes the dog house air flow through the coals reducing the amount. Stove is set pretty low when I leave in the morning so there is a pretty good pile of coals when I get home

I have an insert, so I'm pretty restricted to E/W loading, so unless i dont have much coals, the coals usually run the entire length of the log. Not sure what constitutes an overfire besides STT's being over 750 or glowing, which I cant measure on an insert, I usually let fire completely engulf everything in the box, char it black and then pull primary fully closed for a few seconds and then I push back in a tiny bit. 15min later if secondaries are roaring i fully close it down. Front log usually gets a baseball size hole eaten through it right in front of dog house after 30min and then the primary air gets pulled through to the back log and flows over top log. Due to firebox size and orientation and the size of my splits i can usually only get 3 splits in. 2 medium ones on bottom and one medium/small one on top sitting between the bottom ones.
Even e/w loaded, raked forward will only come in contact with the front peices. Am I really explaining this?

I guess that might depend on they type of stove you have. Ones with an automatic air damper will control the heat output through combustion air control no matter how much of the loaded wood is on fire or not. It will not allow an over-fire condition nor will it affect the burn time. Your statement might hold true to the stoves that are manually controlled though. I think its worth mentioning...

I rake them to get them closer to the incoming air so they can be burnt down.

I guess that might depend on they type of stove you have. Ones with an automatic air damper will control the heat output through combustion air control no matter how much of the loaded wood is on fire or not. It will not allow an over-fire condition nor will it affect the burn time. Your statement might hold true to the stoves that are manually controlled though. I think its worth mentioning...

I rake them to get them closer to the incoming air so they can be burnt down.
You are correct regarding the manually controlled stove. What stove do you have? I'm guessing a BK?

Reactions: Marshy