Why should I be ahead on our wood supply? Revisited...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
We've had several examples lately, and especially one by our friend Steve the fire chief. What happens when a man suffers an injury or sickness and he can't cut wood? If you are 3 years ahead like I usually suggest, then if you get hurt or sick you'll still have wood to burn. Well, today my wife and I were cutting some wood. This is the second day she has helped and I really enjoy it when we work together. So here I am trimming a tree and she is loading the trailer with wood I've already cut to length. Suddenly it felt like someone struck me in the back with something very hard and sharp. Oh no! This crap all over again....

So, I sit the saw down and sit my body down but it is severe. So, I start digging for the pain medicine which I almost always carry out of necessity. Then I sat on the atv for a while and then tried to get back to work. Nope. Nothing doing there. So had to quit for the day. Question now is will it be better tomorrow or is my wood cutting done for the winter. Naturally I am hoping for the best but won't know for another day or so. All I know is that right now even after taking another dose of the pain medicine I still hurt like crazy.

So please good people, get ahead on your wood supply just in case. It may never happen to many and I sincerely wish it would happen to nobody but it can happen as we've seen this year. In our case, if I can not cut any more wood this year it will cause us no problems at all in our fuel as we have plenty split and stacked. We will have good wood to burn. Not everyone has this type of insurance but I wish they did and that is why I will continue to preach about getting your wood well ahead of the time you need it.

Okay, rant done.

Thanks Gary. Let's hope we never have to have that party. If so though, I'd buy the refreshments and food.

Hope you feel better son Sir. Keep us posted if you feel up to it. WE will be thinking of you.

Rest up my friend and feel better soon!

f v

No fun Dennis - hope the back feels better real soon and you get back in the woods to cut. I've certainly taken the advice of getting ahead on wood to heart! Cheers!

Take er easy Dennis. Your rants sound an awful lot like good advice.

I shared your reasoning with my neighbor over the weekend. Never know when the body will give out, but you always know you'll be warm if you are ahead.

Hope you can get back at it soon, but don't rush back too quickly and make it worse either.

Dennis, that's not a rant. I've read many of your post before I joined here. You always seem to help us with your experience and I for one appreciate that. Just sound advice. Get better, take it easy and as I've told you before I would be more than happy to stop by anytime and cut. :)

Almost forgot, I will fix your splitter for free! Lol.......

Backwoods Savage said:
We've had several examples lately, and especially one by our friend Steve the fire chief. What happens when a man suffers an injury or sickness and he can't cut wood? If you are 3 years ahead like I usually suggest, then if you get hurt or sick you'll still have wood to burn. Well, today my wife and I were cutting some wood. This is the second day she has helped and I really enjoy it when we work together. So here I am trimming a tree and she is loading the trailer with wood I've already cut to length. Suddenly it felt like someone struck me in the back with something very hard and sharp. Oh no! This crap all over again....

So, I sit the saw down and sit my body down but it is severe. So, I start digging for the pain medicine which I almost always carry out of necessity. Then I sat on the atv for a while and then tried to get back to work. Nope. Nothing doing there. So had to quit for the day. Question now is will it be better tomorrow or is my wood cutting done for the winter. Naturally I am hoping for the best but won't know for another day or so. All I know is that right now even after taking another dose of the pain medicine I still hurt like crazy.

So please good people, get ahead on your wood supply just in case. It may never happen to many and I sincerely wish it would happen to nobody but it can happen as we've seen this year. In our case, if I can not cut any more wood this year it will cause us no problems at all in our fuel as we have plenty split and stacked. We will have good wood to burn. Not everyone has this type of insurance but I wish they did and that is why I will continue to preach about getting your wood well ahead of the time you need it.

Okay, rant done.

Sav I hope your back is feeling better soon, if not give it a rest.

zap

Dennis, get feeling better and take it easy for a few days.

I wish every rant I heard was as good as yours Dennis! Great advice too! I'm trying to act on your advice and get others to do the same.

Keep us posted and I hope you are feeling better really soon!

Good advice Dennis. I've got 5 years put up so far. I just told my bride the same thing today, you never know when something will happen that prevents you from scrounging/cutting your own firewood.

Heres hoping your back on your feet and gathering wood again soon.

Pat

Rest up Dennis! I'll echo what Gary_602z posted, if you guys need anything you know I'll either bring wood or bring up a crew to help with your own supply.

Over the weekend I tweaked mine pretty good, as I'm becoming more active I'm trying to find that fine line. I told my wife "I'm starting to feel good enough to do something stupid".

Hope you feel better, and take it easy. Good to hear you and the wife work together. You've taught me personally, along with many here, all the very important things that go hand in hand with wood burning, so my hats off to you. I'll take this threads advice to heart and keep on cuttin. Feel better.

Dennis, hope you are feeling better soon. I take ur wood supply advice very seriously. I was not able to get the storm damaged maple out of the leased land I have for the house this fall. My knee did not work so good(prob will need it replaced this year) , so I am ticked that I am not as ahead as would like now. I have this yrs wood and most of next on hand but if out of commision some I will have to buy some cut. You are absolutaly correct on ur advice.
Most of all take care and have a Great holiday season.
Sappy and family

Dennis,
I'm a long time lurker here on hearth, and I've gotten a lot of sound advise from your posts.
Do hope your recovery is swift.
At least you can enjoy Christmas with the knowledge of having enough wood to keep warm for the season.
Kindest regards,
Kari

Dennis,

It is because of this forum and people like you that I am burning dry wood. I am also 3+ years ahead because of the great advice I have received from this forum. I hope you feel better soon.

You are right as usual Dennis. It happened to me this year too. First I broke my left hand, that set me back about two months and then in October I got tendonitis in my elbow (Golfer's elbow, appropriate for me) and It has disabled me more than I could have ever imagined. Just taking a shower hurts or even putting a split in the stove. But after getting your advice I am many year's ahead so no worry for now, just lack of excercise other than walking. I know back injuries are terrible, I have had those too and my father and son needed to see a chiropractor constantly.

Hey, Dennis--rotten luck. I hate back injuries--they make me feel so dang helpless, and you really have to make haste slowly in the recovery process. I am one who tends to think if 10 is good, 100 is better, but that does not apply when doing the exercises for rehabilitating a back injury. Time and patience are key.

Your advice is good even for those of us who buy wood. It makes sense to be always keeping an eye out. I'm happy to be burning wood I bought green and seasoned myself, instead of paying twice as much by buying this time of the year. I'm a lot better off this time of the year than I was last year, but not as good as I hope to be next year. It's that old put-it-by-for-a-rainy-day way of thinking. Twenty sounds like a nice round number.

``

Good advice there! I hope you feel better soon, Dennis!

Oregon Bigfoot

Bummer. I have a bad back too, (but, it seems lately, who doesn't?), but not as bad as yours.
Not to write the winter off, but maybe you'll be doing more spring/summer work now.
Ah, I recall now those damn black flies....ugggggh.
Take it slow while on the disabled list; Spring Training already starts March 1st!

Ok Dennis,
It's been over 12 hours now. GET TO WORK!! You don't want to get soft, do you??

Take care of yourself and get well soon.

Stephie

Rest up and get well soon . . . I have no doubt you will be back in the woodlot in short order . . . you're just too stubborn -- no wrong word choice -- too determined to let something hold you back for long.

Maybe God is telling you that he prefers folks to split wood horizontally? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.