Why should I be ahead on our wood supply? Revisited...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope you feel better soon. My wife keeps telling me that we already have enough wood at the house! I know better.

Dennis,
Ever see those devices where you clamp onto your ankles, then swing yourself upside down?
(Not knowing if it's a spinal compression thing.) Could make it difficult to set there and watch soap operas. (Kidding!)
Back injuries are so iffy. Hoping yours is resolved quickly.
As best possible, Merry Christmas and a better New Year.
John

Best wishes on a speedy recovery Dennis. Perhaps use the holidays as a time to rest and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

I bet what actually happened was that you secretly tried to split horizontal and hurt your back lifting a round!

Seriously, speedy recovery!!!

Jeez Dennis, can you not catch a break?
I hope you'll take it easy for a minute before getting back out there.
When I first started burning, wood was wet and I was able to figure out that wasn't a good thing. I began the long trip to being ahead, and read very good advice here from you (and others) before I even joined the site. It galvanized my resolve to "Git 'er dun", and now that I'm almost 3 years ahead, what a difference.
It should almost be mandatory for new wood burners to come here and read about getting DRY wood before buying and installing a stove.
We can dream, can't we? :coolsmile:

Hi Dennis,

No fun throwing out the back. I hope it heals quick.
Great advice as usual.

Wow. I never dreamed the responses I'd get from a little post. Many thanks to all. It has been an interesting 24 hours but I'm still here. The good news is that the back is not quite as bad today but then, I've basically done nothing all day. We are somewhat blessed and have a good chair like the ones most chiropractic centers use. It was Hell at first but at least I was able to go through one session. Interesting that during the night I had to get up and take more pain medicine. Dropped one on the floor. Seems my arms must have shrunk a bit yesterday too because I can no longer reach the floor....

I'm hoping to take life easy yet tomorrow and then see if it might be possible to do some work. I'll be meeting Pete tomorrow and seeing his new stove and taking him some kindling wood. Looking forward to that. Before I see him I am also meeting with our massage lady who, no doubt, will cause me massive pain but, in the end she usually helps a lot. So I have high hopes for tomorrow.

JohnB mentioned the inversion tables and I've talked to many who have back injuries and they love them. However, I can not use them else I'd cause other massive problems because I have had both hips replaced so it would be super easy to dislocate them. Yes, I had asked the doctor about them. In no uncertain terms the answer was no!

I also see we have a new forum member in Ontairo, Tonttu. Welcome to the forum Kari.

EDIT: For those who do not know, I have not been able to work a steady job since 1984 when I was injured (a day I'll never forget) so this is not a new thing for me to go through. Just one more hard trial. We will get through it too.

btw, for those who know better, I was not trying to split wood horizontally......

Nice to see you back Dennis, little humor and all. Maybe a small cushion on the milk crate would help? LOL

As you know, not a nice day today at all. Gray skies, light rain all day, more mud for me, and to top it all off I'm sure zap was out cutting from sun up to sun down!

When your up to it let's meet in Chesaning for coffee some morning, my treat! :)

Backwoods Savage said:
Wow. I never dreamed the responses I'd get from a little post. Many thanks to all. It has been an interesting 24 hours but I'm still here. The good news is that the back is not quite as bad today but then, I've basically done nothing all day. We are somewhat blessed and have a good chair like the ones most chiropractic centers use. It was Hell at first but at least I was able to go through one session. Interesting that during the night I had to get up and take more pain medicine. Dropped one on the floor. Seems my arms must have shrunk a bit yesterday too because I can no longer reach the floor....

I'm hoping to take life easy yet tomorrow and then see if it might be possible to do some work. I'll be meeting Pete tomorrow and seeing his new stove and taking him some kindling wood. Looking forward to that. Before I see him I am also meeting with our massage lady who, no doubt, will cause me massive pain but, in the end she usually helps a lot. So I have high hopes for tomorrow.

JohnB mentioned the inversion tables and I've talked to many who have back injuries and they love them. However, I can not use them else I'd cause other massive problems because I have had both hips replaced so it would be super easy to dislocate them. Yes, I had asked the doctor about them. In no uncertain terms the answer was no!

I also see we have a new forum member in Ontairo, Tonttu. Welcome to the forum Kari.

EDIT: For those who do not know, I have not been able to work a steady job since 1984 when I was injured (a day I'll never forget) so this is not a new thing for me to go through. Just one more hard trial. We will get through it too.
Glad that you are feeling a bit better today. Hopefully you will be able to ease back into cutting wood soon!

wishlist said:
Nice to see you back Dennis, little humor and all. Maybe a small cushion on the milk crate would help? LOL

As you know, not a nice day today at all. Gray skies, light rain all day, more mud for me, and to top it all off I'm sure zap was out cutting from sun up to sun down!

When your up to it let's meet in Chesaning for coffee some morning, my treat! :)

Sounds like a winner. I'll send you a PM.

Thanks quads, I do hope to not be down very long. It is just too nice for cutting wood now to be down.

Get your rest Dennis & take it easy until things are healed.We know you'll be back in the saddle before too long.

Dennis do you have a good physical therapist?
Maybe some exercises will help you stay somewhat limber & get you up & cutting soon.
Hope you heal up soon, I know how it is to see the work that needs done & not be able.
Hope you don't get "grumpy" like I do.
Get well buddy, the wood will wait, you are far enough ahead, a few weeks of rest won't cause yo to have to burn green wood next year :)
The beauty of being ahead ;)

Good Luck Dennis , Merry Christmas

bogydave said:

When I was down with my back I was near impossible to deal with according to my wife. She said if the surgery didn't work we would've needed couples therapy! Good thing it worked out to this point as I wouldn't have made it through that kind of therapy! :lol:

Thanks to posts from you I look at my three year supply of wood and feel like it isn't enough. I should! It would be easy to miss a year with an injury and before you know it you're burning green wood. An injury or illness is bad enough - nobody needs a smoky, finicky fire to go with it.

I'm up to 5+ years of wood so I'm one of those who took the advice also.

I'm not sure what the exact nature of your back injury is Dennis, but I know from experience what it's like to be laid up with a back problem and can feel your pain.

I was laid up for a week this fall (about a month ago) when we went out to cut a load of wood. The problem is I suffer from is frequent, easily herniated low back disks. Sometimes very simple movements can bring it on without much warning. This last time I really did nothing strenuous, in fact I just started clearing some brush around the first tree I was going to fall when I felt the tell tale twinge in my back. I should have stopped right then and there and put the saw away and drove home, but I didn't want to drive all the way back home with an empty truck. So I ended up working through it and fell all the trees and bucked them all up while my wife and son did all the loading (ended up with a full truck). By the end of the day I couldn't stand up straight and by the next day I was finished. I missed a weeks work and basically laid on the couch for the whole week taking anti-inflammatory medication and putting ice packs on my back.
In retrospect I probably would have been better off being a cord short of wood, I don't really need wood to heat the house, we have a new high effienecy heat-pump that works quite well, we just like the heat the wood stove puts out and enjoy the hobby of cutting and heating with wood and the little bit of money we save, but not being able to work for that week, that was a bigger problem. The job I was working on got delayed just enough that I missed the last bit of warm weather and now I have to wait till spring before I can finish it. Of course, I might have thrown my back out while working on the job and I might have been in the same position, who knows right?

Take it easy :)

Carbon_Liberator said:
The problem is I suffer from is frequent, easily herniated low back disks.

That has to suck!

I herniated my S1-L5 earlier this year and had a microdiscectomy in July to remove the herniated material. If I do it again I'll be asking for a fusion! Of course one is in my future anyway due to Spondylolisthesis on that level that will most likely lead to a fusion at some point.

Back not a lot better today but at least I was able to get out of the house. Had some running around to do so spent some time in the car; too much time though. But I'm doing my best to not take too much pain medicine and am actually hoping that I might be able to cut a little wood yet very soon. Might even try tomorrow as the wife will be gone to town so a good time for me to get out and try it. Yes, I'll probably catch some flak for it but I won't do much and if it hurts to bad I'll just stop.

As many can see, back problems are not rare. Many of us have these problems and they are not easy to deal with but we still have to live with it. I've seen it ruin some folks lives and even marriages. So rdust, you are not alone there. lol I've found that having a serious injury can be almost as hard on loved ones as they are on you. Just yesterday my son told me of some trouble he went through after my injury and he went through more than I thought! Glad he finally told me about it.

bogydave said:
Dennis do you have a good physical therapist?
Maybe some exercises will help you stay somewhat limber & get you up & cutting soon.
Hope you heal up soon, I know how it is to see the work that needs done & not be able.
Get well buddy, the wood will wait, you are far enough ahead, a few weeks of rest won't cause yo to have to burn green wood next year :)
The beauty of being ahead ;)

Dave, I've been to physical therapy way too many times in my life and can honestly say most of it was a waste of time. Not really sure why as I know others who have had great luck. Last summer I went to PT for a month and when done with them went back to the massage lady and she helped much more than PT did. So, we try to go with what works. I'll still try to get back to cutting as soon as I can even if only an hour at a time.

hope your feeling better soon;cant keep a wood cutter down long, its a inside drive keeps us going,think after being onthis site ive also learnen make hay when the sun shines or when your healthy enuff to get er done you get it done,,, 27 cord css dont know how many seasons worth but you all lite a fire under me..merry christmas to all zzzim

Take a couple extra days D, no need to push your luck. Trying to cut a day or two too soon may cause you a loss of a month worth of cutting. The trees will wait for you.

These guys are great. http://www.laserspineinstitute.com/ did my surgery in 2007 in Tampa. Had a ruptured L5-S1. 45 mins on the table watching them work on a small tv and then out the door with one stitch and a gauze pad on my back. Ran my 021 four days later taking down a tree for a friend.

They have more success with people who haven't had surgery before. They seem to be more interested in fixing you than in your money, although the procedure isn't cheap. If nothing else, they have an informative website.

Good luck, back pain sucks!!

Backwoods Savage said:
btw, for those who know better, I was not trying to split wood horizontally......
Maybe that is your problem. I have a bad back and find that posture and strength training are vital. For me at least, sitting and reaching will gimp me.

Another good reason to be well ahead besides health is economics. One often follows the other. You never know when hard times might befall you. Even if your wood is free, free firewood is seldom truly free. It cost money to own, maintain, and operate the equipment. Murphy's law states that your saw will give out on you when you can least afford to fix or replace it. YOu could be forced to sell that quad to put food on the table.

When I gave my indigent neightbour some firewood, she was commenting on how she could not afford gas for her chainsaw. She was drooling over my log splitter while complaining that her health was bad and she couldn't split her own wood. Even something as basic as a sawbuck seemed to be out of her reach. She has more acreage of woodlot than I do.

As most know, I buy logs by the truckload since I don't have the equipment to haul my own. If I fell on hard times, I could end up like my neighbour, not being able to afford even the gas to run my old saw. Murphy would probably kill my old saw just to add to the hardship. I work in the forest products industry and we have fallen on hard times. Our mill is laying off workers and taking market downtime. I let my firewood supply dwindle to the point I only have enough wood for this Winter and next. It may be hard to pry $1200 out of my bank account to buy a truckload of logs during these uncertain times, so that it will be good for burning in 2014 and beyond. It would be especially hard to plan ahead if one lived a hand-to-mouth existence.

Status
Not open for further replies.