Why should I be ahead on our wood supply? Revisited...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How are you feeling today Dennis . . . and in case I don't "see" you before then . . . Merry Christmas Friend.

Thanks Jake and we also wish you a Merry Christmas.

This morning it was difficult just getting out of bed so the pain meds started early. However, the wife went shopping and a neighbor came to cut wood. He is not good or comfortable in felling trees so I forced myself to get the saw and fell a few trees for him. They were small trees so it did not take long. While cutting it was not bad but I can feel the effects of it now. Hope to cut wood tomorrow though as the wife says she would like to and if she helps, that means a lot less bending.

LLigetfa, you are so right. And I also figured you were taking a hit economically with the industry floundering all over. Let's hope this does not last too long. As for your neighbor, it seems lots of us have neighbors in about the same condition. It is extremely difficult to live in that hand-to-mouth situation.

So far, I've escaped the axe although we all took a cut in pay and benefits. I have not yet fallen on real hard times and am not looking for pity but we are feeling the uncertainty. The wife (SWMBO) told me today that I was not to waste gas with the snow thrower and to go shovel the driveway by hand. Next she will be telling me to split by hand and not to run the splitter.

After I got done the driveway, I proceeded to shovel out my wood processing area. The wife asks me why, so I explain that it is so the frost will set to allow the grapple truck to drive on it. Her reaction confirmed my fear that I will need a crowbar to pry $1200 out of the bank account. It's hard to think long term when you worry about the near term.

With the mill not taking any more wood after today, more of their time should be available for firewood cutting and hauling. The problem is only a couple of guys have self-unloaders (grapple trucks) and they might still have a waiting list despite not delivering to the mill. Recently they've been hauling like crazy to get their wood to the mill before the shutdown tomorrow.

I feel very fortunate to still have a job and think rather than hoard my money, that I should buy firewood from my wood guy who must be facing some hurt.

Dennis, I know that is hard for you but you should just take it easy for a while. I am only about an hour and 15 minutes away and it sounds like that you have neighbors/friends and family to help out also. But the last thing that you should be doing right now is over doing yourself. Take it easy and do not be afraid to ask for help.

Gary

Well I planned on cutting today but will take the advise and wait a couple more days.

Hi, Dennis-

I don't know what exactly you are taking for pain medication. IMO this is the time for Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, etc.). The key idea is 'anti-inflammatory', as Carbon Liberator mentioned. Now here's the deal- it turns out that for most lower back pain which is not spinal related (bad discs, etc.), the cause is simply poor abdominal muscle tone. Weak abdominals translate to greater forces on the back, and then those tiny back muscles start spasming and cramping and the pain can be quite intense. I can't tell what you have, but there is a good chance it is only muscle spasms, unless you have a known history of disc issues, etc. I once had it so bad I couldn't get up out of bed one morning. Finally resorted to finger walking my way up the wall to get standing, which took me like 10 minutes. Yikes! And it was just overexertion from a demolition job I had been doing. I have no disc issues.

If you are taking something stronger, well and good- but IMO taking an anti-inflammatory instead is very important. And in fact, it is important to HAMMER it (the muscle spasms) initially. Often one Ibuprofen is not enough for moderate to severe pain. Provided that there are no health risks in your particular case (talk to a doc), you'd best want to HAMMER it with about 3 of those 200mg tablets at a time. BTW you can buy 600mg Ibuprofen 'horse pills' as a prescription med. I have some of those. That constitutes PROOF POSITIVE that this can be done safely, theoretically under a doctor's supervision. I KNOW it's safe for most adult people in most cases (but check with your doc). In fact, my sister, who in her time knew this area *very* well indeed, told me that the max safe initial dose is actually 4 pills, that's 800mg at a time. Caveat emptor, YMMV, etc. I have done this on a few occasions and it was very effective for me. You don't want to do this for long, but you almost certainly can safely do this. There is a daily limit on the dosage but it is pretty high, actually- and you can exceed that for a short time. Just so long as you don't have any kidney issues. BTW there are those more frequent 'little blowouts' for which a double dose, 400mg, works just dandy. Repeat 2-3 times and then throttle back to one tablet every 4-6 hours. Never take on an empty stomach, you must have some food in there throughout the day.

The main thing is, if you know this will work for you and is not unsafe for you (true for most adults), Ibuprofen therapy is IMO about the best you can do. In fact, I'd do the Ibuprofen in preference to hydrocodone, codeine, percocets or whatever. Good pain pills all, but what you need usually is an anti-inflammatory. HAMMER it at the outset, and you will probably recover quick, then you can throttle back on the Ibuprofen very soon and taper back to one every 4-6 hours. My 2 cents...

Be well, my friend. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Good thinking Clutter but there are some complications. Firstly that stuff can be harsh on the stomach and anti-inflamatories dang near killed me once already and I have only 25% of my stomach left. Therefore I do take Celebrex and do take quite a bit of it. You are right on the muscle tone too but with the post-polio thing I have that too can get complicated. They usually want me to slow down but I refuse until the body just won't let me go any more. Sorry, but that is the way I want it. They tell me I won't last as long but we'll see about that one. Anyway, even with the heavy dose of Celebrex, I still take prescription pain medicine but tend to go lightly on it whenever possible. Especially that stuff that can get you hooked. One reason we switch meds occasionally; so we don't get hooked. We monitor that very closely.

That explains all, Dennis. I see why you can't do the Ibuprofen. I'm also real careful to avoid risking addiction, but OTOH when I really need something stronger, I have 'em. Not too often, fortunately.

I've long since gotten used to an endless string of minor injuries, various minor cuts, bruises, and splinters, etc. It's no different when I'm working at various home improvement tasks. Seems like I often end up getting some sort of minor injury. That includes lower back pain at times. This was true long before my recent move into wood burning (2007-8). It's just a part of work, I guess. But the back pain sure is a nuisance, and slows you down the most. That's why, since I can, I'm so quick to hammer it with Ibuprofen. I'm quite sure that over the years, it's reduced my recovery times a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.