Why so many Intreped II's on ebay?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure where you are coming from. I see 3 on there now (seaching vermont intrepid). I search it fairly often and sometimes there's none, sometimes more.

Hey thanks Warren. one of them is right near where I live..... Buddy of mine has been talking about swapping his insert out for a freestanding stove. Think I will suggest this one to him.

Be carefull what you buy on E-Bay. Those stoves probably need total rebuild or some tlc.

Hey Elk, like Dylan suggested, you could start your own used VC stove shop!

I found only 3 the blue and red ones of older vintage indictive of the smaller
glass viewing area.
The 1997 one has the larger glass and is more modern.
Mine is blue just like the pictured one 1987.
They are decent at heating spaces up to 600 -700 sq ft.
I would love the red one . One got relisted due to delinquent bidder.
Three is not that many? Well actually 4 one selling new for $1095

the most interesting VC on Ebay is the grey Viligant in never installed in CA.

So there is 3 today. Next week another 3 etc... Never see a continuous stream of Avalons like that or pick almost any other stove, not that kind of volume...Even within the VC line. Take the Aspen for example or Defiant. The one for 90 bucks (probably won't sell for that I'm guessing) would be a steal,a the black one didn't sell for 500. If I recall, they go for about 1000 new, so is 1/2 price for that stove reasonable if in good shape? Guessing a CAT is needed on all of them. 90 sure seems worth it especially if it's a basement stove or a work shop stove. A nice red cast stove for the work shop, sounds sweet to me.

I might add the after market cat combustor is $59 for the Intrepid II
plus, the two older models only 2 screws need to be remover from the back
Making it a 5 minute operation to replace and vacuum out the accumulated ash.
I suspect if these stoves were direct connected into a fire place flue they did not operate well
Today people with remote control gas stoves do not want to use wood, process it, or take the time to engage a cat
Wood stoves do not fit their life style. I should not suorise many, that VC has a huge presences in the used stove market
After all,they were the largest manufacturer in the 80' and 90's
There is also a way to re-seam caulk these stoves without total rebuild.
Also the late 80's early 90" VC had the best craftsman work force. Years of experience.
Many claim their best stoves were built then.

Already have a Hobby repair Minolta Maxxum Cameras Lot easier to work with no weight factor
Repaired thousands. But finally the digital camera reduced the market and it is not worth fixing them any more I still have a very rare white body 8000i. I still use it for weddings shoots

elkimmeg said:
I might add the after market cat combustor is $59 for the Intrepid II
plus, the two older models only 2 screws need to be remover from the back
Making it a 5 minute operation to replace and vacuum out the accumulated ash.
I suspect if these stoves were direct connected into a fire place flue they did not operate well
Today people with remote control gas stoves do not want to g use wood process it or take the time to engage a cat
Wood stoves do not fit their life style. I should not spires many that VC has a huge presences in the used stove market
After all,they were the largest manufacturer in the 80' and 90's
There is also a way to re-seam caulk these stoves without total rebuild.
Also the late 80's early 90" VC had the best craftsman work force. Years of experience.
Many claim their best stoves were built then.

Already have a Hobby repair Minolta Maxxum Cameras Lot easier to work with no weight factor
Repaired thousands. But finally the digital camera reduced the market and it is not worth fixing them any more I still have a very rare white body 8000i. I still use it for weddings shoots

So Elk, do you think the number of stoves, is simply due to the number VC sold at that time?

#1 selling stoves in North America is Vermont Castings all time about 50,000 a year
It figures that VC would made a huge presence on the used market as well

Dylan said:
elkimmeg said:
I found only 3 the blue and red ones of older vintage indictive of the smaller
glass viewing area.
The 1997 one has the larger glass and is more modern.
Mine is blue just like the pictured one 1987.
They are decent at heating spaces up to 600 -700 sq ft.
I would love the red one . One got relisted due to delinquent bidder.
Three is not that many? Well actually 4 one selling new for $1095

the most interesting VC on Ebay is the grey Viligant in never installed in CA.

I just read some of the Q&A's on that auction.....fifteen years out on that patio; includes enamelled stovepipe and chimney components.

Ya gotta wonder what went wrong in that household.

lack of sense

Status
Not open for further replies.