Why the difference in grinding wheel and round file size?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dave360up

Feb 2, 2010
upstate NY
Last year I bought the Northern chain grinder and started grinding chains when they got real bad. Normally I hand file until the chain is bad from things like a rock strike or embedded metal. I used to take bad chains in to a shop to be ground.

So here is the problem. When I use a 3/16" wheel (as recommended in sharpening charts) on a chain that normally takes a 7/32" file, if I want to keep touching up the chain by hand after grinding I have to switch to a 3/16" round file to fit the contour of the ground chain. No big deal, but isn't the chain designed to fit the contour of the 7/32" file? Why isn't there a 7/32" wheel? I don't recall having this problem with chains I used to get ground at a shop; the 7/32" file seemed to fit fine after I got them back.

The same thing is true with the smaller chains that take a 1/8" wheel and a 5/32" file.

I've looked for the answer to this question for a while and have not found it. Why the difference in wheel and file sizes, and after grinding should you use a smaller file size or just reshape the ground chain by hand with the recommended size file?

If you did not have room for heat built-up you would crack that rock in a hart beat! :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.