1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Why use an IR Thermo Gun ??

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Beer Belly, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Beer Belly

Beer Belly Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Connecticut
    I had a friend ask me why I bought one of these....sez it's a waste of money, and I make too much of a big deal over maintaining stove temps. My thoughts are....1- I don't put all that much faith in my magnetic thermometer (candor....which is actually pretty acurate), 2- I like to know that my stove is cruisin' at 400-450*F, and keeping the house warm, rather than running it higher, open a window if it gets too hot in the house, and burn more wood than I need. What are your reasons....if you own one ??.....or am I really getting anal about monitoring the temps:rolleyes:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    Consistency over the magnet thermometers, ease of use, and confirmation or elimination of worries. I like it for finding the many air leaks I have in the house. Temps of combustibles near the stove and how it relates to clearances. With having one or two new stoves a year, it helps figuring out what the stove is doing throughout the burn time.
    Mitch Newton and Beer Belly like this.
  3. charly

charly Guest

I like using the IR gun to find the hottest spot on my stove top for my surface thermometers...Then check those against the IR gun. Who'd ever think the hot spot would be right here in the pics. 104_7332.JPG
  4. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    I think you might stop using it regularly on the stove after a while, but they're not that costly and you'll use it here and there, once in awhile.
  5. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Now You, on the other hand... :)
    BrowningBAR likes this.
  6. Blue2ndaries

Blue2ndaries Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Oregon
    I have one b/c I can't easily attach a temp gauge directly onto our ZC Fireplace.
  7. corey21

corey21 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    I am glad i got a IR gun i use mine to double check the stove temps sometimes and to find air leaks around the house.
    fishingpol, bboulier and Mitch Newton like this.
  8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I use ours only occasionally. Most times I'll check to see how the temperatures match between it and the magnetic thermometers from Condar. Usually they are very close. Then occasionally I'll get the stove hot and then check different areas of the stove just to refresh my memory (needs lots of that). I even checked the railing on our deck on summer day and found 134 degrees!
  9. mcollect

mcollect Member

Loc:
    Garrett County, Md
    On my insert it is the only reliable way to check it. Plus when I point it near the dog he chases it and tries to swat it with his paw, priceless.
    Mitch Newton likes this.
  10. BrowningBAR

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    Works on cats, too.

When I point the laser at the wife it just annoys her. Appears to be limited to pets.
  11. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Used mine originally to double check the readings from my Condar which were pretty close . . . since then I put on a soapstone slab on my stove so the only way to get a reliable stove top temp now is with the IR thermometer . . . but honestly I rarely use it unless I am concerned with the stove top temp . . . I more often use my probe thermo in the stove pipe.
  12. gmule

gmule Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Conifer Colorado
    The IR temp guns have multiple uses. I use mine to check trailer hub and brakes I used it to track down air leaks in the house. We use them at work to check bearing temps on some of the equipment that we use. Not so good for checking the little ones for a fever but it is good for telling me how cold my beer is.
    Trilifter7, loon and Jasper 83 like this.
  13. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Lots of uses other than just for the stove. Everything from checking temp on vehicle components, to checking other thermometers accuracy, to frozen foods, fridge temps, oven temps, etc.

My wife shook her head until she realized that the IR thermometer meant she never again saw a blonde or burnt pancake again.

pen
    Jon1270 likes this.
  14. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Because I want to.
    n3pro likes this.
  15. Hearth Mistress

Hearth Mistress Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pt Pleasant, PA (SE PA)
    Sounds like a neat gadget, may have to get one if for nothing else, to torture my two Jack Russell Terriers ;)
  16. drewmo

drewmo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Maine
    I bought one for a number of reasons, from finding drafty spots in the house to checking the temps of hidden water pipes on those really cold days. Can anyone recommend a good temp at which my insert should run and where on the stove I should check. With the blower running, I find a great discrepancy between checking the top and the sides.

BTW, from across the room, the medium-hair cat is 70.7 degrees and the wife is fuming. This is really why I bought an IR thermometer.
  17. mcollect

mcollect Member

Loc:
    Garrett County, Md
    IR guns spread out the area used, so the closer you are the better the reading. For my insert I get next to the upper vent and using a sideways shot look into the opening and take a shot near the chimney. It is good at 500 to 600. Less I add more air,more I turn the fan up and shut down the air.
  18. BrowningBAR

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    On really cold nights I take the IR and walk outside pointing it at objects seeing what the lowest temp will be.
  19. melissa71

melissa71 New Member

Loc:
    Chicagoland
    I use it because it's fun. ;) Actually I like to use it to check my stove top temp (my stove top thermometer is off by 40 degrees, reads higher than it is), my freezers, air leaks in the house, point it at my husband, make the dog chase the laser, etc.
  20. remkel

remkel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southwest NH
    I have become an IR only person. Sick of guessing what my stove temps really are using magnetic thermometers. The IR also allows me to scan the whole top to see where I am getting hot spots during a particular burn.
  21. remkel

remkel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southwest NH
    I have become an IR only person. Sick of guessing what my stove temps really are using magnetic thermometers. The IR also allows me to scan the whole top to see where I am getting hot spots during a particular burn.
  22. RustyShackleford

RustyShackleford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NC
    Is there one (IR thermometer) that you guys would recommend ? My sister got me this one:

http://www.amazon.com/WCI-Professio...1357714652&sr=8-2&keywords=wci ir thermometer

... but the laser pointer was broken so I have to return it (she is across the country, is why I'm doing it). But they don't do exchanges, she'd just order a new one - so she said if there's another one I want, let her know (no more expensive, of course).
  23. etiger2007

etiger2007 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Clio Michigan
    I have a Condar magnetic stove top therm and wanted to see how accurate it was and I'll tell ya that Condar is pretty accurate. Plus I have a new insert, this being the first year I used it, and I needed another toy.
  24. simple.serf

simple.serf Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Sherman, NY
    I fix ovens for work... i usually have an IR strapped to my work belt.
  25. mywaynow

mywaynow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast
    I use one because some forum I visit has a bunch of people who said I need one. Now it is for amusement mostly, although the surface temps of nearby walls is great knowledge that helps me sleep better.