Why use the stove when i have a wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRambler

Feeling the Heat
Jul 29, 2014
CT
Breaking in my PH in more ways than one today. Braising half a bone in turkey breast now. Made coffee , eggs, and bacon this morning. Wonder how much i will save on electric bill minimizing use of the electric range and oven?

Anyone else cooking?

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
No cooking for us folks with inserts! What's your stove standing on ?

Its legs! Your probably noticing the roxul with the sheet metal on top. My hearth was getting a little too warm for what i was comfortable with so this is my interim solution until i rebuild it this spring.

Cooking on a woodstove will save on electric or gas , with out a doubt. Only draw back is if you get oil, grease or sauce on the soapstone, I don't think you will get it off , most likely leave a stain.

Its legs! Your probably noticing the roxul with the sheet metal on top. My hearth was getting a little too warm for what i was comfortable with so this is my interim solution until i rebuild it this spring.
That's good to hear... it almost looked like a wood skid!

Anyone else cooking?

Just grilled some chicken over the coals an hour ago!

Coffee and oatmeal just about every morning, but mostly I cook water into steam to put a little moisture into the air, a couple gallons a day when it's this cold.

Breaking in my PH in more ways than one today. Braising half a bone in turkey breast now. Made coffee , eggs, and bacon this morning. Wonder how much i will save on electric bill minimizing use of the electric range and oven?

Anyone else cooking?

View attachment 152235

Every night this week! I cook on and in the wood stove. I love not having to fire up my electric oven! Tomorrow for the Super Bowl, it's chili on the wood stove!

For those that cook inside the stove- how do you do it? Do you have a grate you put over the coals, or just put a small cast iron dutch oven in there?

Presto. follow the recipe exactly, its really good.

Reactions: Creekheat
I'd love to have a freestander with a cooktop! Can't cook on the Rockland. I wouldn't cook on the Shelburn nor does it seem to get hot enough anyhow. Pellet stove top doesn't even get warm. Even the old smoke dragon in the basement is hard to cook on though I did a few times before I put it down there.

So I walked away with some extra knowledge, I will rake all my coals forward in the stove, pushing the powder ash to the rear, then I will lay my steaks on 40 sec a side.

Rambler, is that a trivet your center pot is on? And it looks like you are using soapstone on either side? I'd like to know more about how you cook on the cooktop. I assume the soapstone keeps things at a very low heat, after you've "cooked" it. My experience with the trivet was that the food didn't get nearly hot enough, which is why I ask.

Rambler, is that a trivet your center pot is on? And it looks like you are using soapstone on either side? I'd like to know more about how you cook on the cooktop. I assume the soapstone keeps things at a very low heat, after you've "cooked" it. My experience with the trivet was that the food didn't get nearly hot enough, which is why I ask.

My stove is a Woodstock Progress Hybrid, the cooktop is under those 3 soapstone pieces on top. You can either cook on the soapstone directly for a nice low heat, or you can lift the stones up and cook on the cooktop. The middle section is for high heat, and left and right are low and medium(i forget which is which off the top of my head) So no, i was not using a trivet, just the dutch oven directly on the middle of the cooktop.

We've got a veggie soup in a big cast iron bean pot on the stove at the moment. There's chili cooking in the crock pot so I needed another place to cook the soup. It's 20 degrees and falling outside so I know the stove will be warm enough to simmer it.

For those that cook inside the stove- how do you do it? Do you have a grate you put over the coals, or just put a small cast iron dutch oven in there?

We typically wrap items in foil -- roasts, potatoes, squash, etc. and place them on the coals. Other items (fish, etc.) go in a small cast iron fry pan (our cast iron Dutch oven is too big to go inside the stove -- won't fit through the door opening). I just set the fry pan right on the coals; it works quite well. The only challenge is getting past the dogs to retrieve whatever we put in there. The smell of food coming from the wood stove creates another reason the dogs lay right in front of the wood stove.

We cook on/in the stove from time to time. Wood stove potatoes are the best!

I just did steaks inside the stove, omgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I found a old grate from a charco bbq that fit inside my stove. I turned to regular bricks on the side and laid grill on the bricks with the hot coals. worked out great. ;hm

anyone cook with a blaze king? I asked over on the blaze king thread before I saw this one?

Just cooked baked beans from scratch on the PH. Baked beans need 6 hours cooking time in an oven. No thanks. I'll take the free heat. Best by far baked beans I have ever had by a long shot.

what kinda temps was that my tile in frnt of progress is hot enough to burn my feet and that's 120-145 deg.. tiles on uncoupling mat (Ditra) and on a particle sub floor.. from under house the subfloors not nearly that temp maybe 100 . is this not good?

My electric stove is 100% efficient, in terms of heating my house. My wood stove, only 85% efficient, yet wood is almost free. Interesting subject...

Which do you choose in summer? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.