Why we do what we do...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

willisl64

Apr 6, 2008
South Central IA
Lovely December day here in Southern Iowa - highs in the upper twenties, lows in the low teens to single digits, plus a blustery wind of 15-25 mph this weekend with gusts much stiffer. We are warm and toasty in our little house with our wood heat. While doing chores and moving wood this afternoon the wife checked the propane tank - it sits at 70% full after being filled to 75% in September (500 gal tank), and the furnace hasn't kicked on yet this season. After a tragedy hit our small town this last week, it is nice to stand back and realize how GOOD we have it - recession and all. Just a few pics of my little helper and I moving wood for the next few days and one with him in my kevlar steel toed chainsaw boots. Enjoy.

Attachments

• 101_0407.jpg
    101_0407.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 425
  • 101_0408.jpg
    101_0408.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 421
  • 101_0409.jpg
    101_0409.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 421
  • 101_0410.jpg
    101_0410.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 432
Perfect. Thanks, you enjoy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice.
I'm new to burning wood but I learned that I get the same satisfaction from it as when I started hunting a few years ago.
It's nice to provide for you and yours with your own hands. I flash back to hurricane Katrina and the videos of all those waiting for help.
The only one I remember vividly is of a group that had moved to higher ground and set up camp. They seemed pretty comfortable, considering the circumstances.
Nice to see your boy learning that heat doesn't just come from turning on a switch.

"I ain't asking nobody for nothin', if I can't get it on my own."
Charlie Daniels

I couldn't agree more!! My gas only get's used about 5 times a season. I got two deer in the freezer this year. There is a real since of accomplishment with a full wood shed and a full freezer, if our time was only free! :)

"aahhhhh."
This is the self assuring sound of looking at your woodpile or hot fire or freezer full of venision. you could also insert ant other accomplishment that makes you
more self reliant.

"Your no help to anyone if you can't help yourself." -Cory

Willis. I missed the bad news last week. I did hear about the two hunters in your area that got shot, but I'm thinking that's not what you are referring to.

Anyway, I was apologizing to my wife who was sitting in the jeep with the 4month old and the 4 year old while I was outside in the timber loading up my little trailer with firewood that was bucked and waiting to go home for splitting. It was 15F without windchill. I overestimated how much bucked wood was out in the timber, so I only got about half full. I was saying to her that it was worth it anyway, because I LIKE to do it. We are both psychologists, so it lead into a discussion on why I like to do stuff like this. I said it must be some innate caveman urges to burn wood and do *grunt grunt* type of work to provide for my family. She said it could have something to do with growing up on a farm and knowing how to live off of the land. Whatever the reason, one big benefit from all of this "kind" of work that I do is that I hope to one day have a son and daughter who can provide for themselves no matter what happens. Both of my children will have the skills to build a house with their bare hands and heat it. Both will have basic small-engine repair/maintenance skills, both will know how to do basic stuff on their cars. both will know how to cook, do laundry, dishes, and clean a house. Both will know how to use a gun and clean an animal. None of this girl-job or boy-job nonsense. When they are older that may not wish to do any of these things, but darnit they WILL know how.

Best teaching method, proven over and over again, is MODELING. If you don't do it, don't expect your kids to do it. THAT'S WHY I BURN WOOD. It's more than heat, it's about work ethic, it's about avoiding a sedentary lifestyle, it's about doing what it takes to provide for your family.

Danno77 said:
Best teaching method, proven over and over again, is MODELING.

Amen brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.