Why we like the Woods Update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
zapny said:
bboulier said:
Zap, What technique do you use to cut your wood to identical lengths?

I have a stick cut to length and this pruning saw then I mark every tree using that stick and pruning saw so my lengths are close to the same length.

Zap

Thanks for the good advice.

Willman said:

I've seen those and have thought about them but the reviews say they are too fragile. I guess you could make your own with a long, threaded rod but then wouldn't you have to drill a hole in your bar?

I measure my cuts from the tip of my bar to the embossed mark on the side of my Stihl cover. 20 inches, I think. After I cut a few I can eyeball them and get really close, though my stacks may never make the cover of "Wood Cutter Quarterly."

Willman said:

Beside the issue of them breaking, they look like an obvious safety hazard to me. Do you really want something sticking way out of the side of your running saw? Now you not only have to watch where the bar is, you have watch where the marker stick(s) are, or your bar may be pushed where you don't want it. It' s probably a good thing they break.

Here's something else from Baileys. Anyone try a Mingo Marker?

https://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=265

You would also always have to have the saw oriented in one direction with the measuring bar sticking out over empty space. Which means you would have to kick each newly cut round out of the way in order to cut the next one. I sometimes like, or need, to cut from the other side of the long. That bar wouldn't let me switch sides.

Zapny, i think i just got wood looking at those pics. Wow, look at the rack on that one. LOL

the woods have been a major part of my life since i was a child.... mostly cause of hunting, scouting and fishing.... If i dont get my weekly dose of peace and quiet im not the same person. I cant imagine living in a city with all that noise. peace and quiet and mother nature is all this guy needs ,... its therapy for your your soul.

I made my length marker out of a round magnet and a 17" length of threaded rod with a large washer nutted on the 16" mark. Comes off easy. Rod mounted on rear of bar isn't a big problem, I cut with the front portion of the bar unless I am on big stuff. I get a pic of the set up.

Will

T-posts are the bomb.

Zap, those are nice looking stacks. I wish I had some level ground around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.