Why won't my damper open (VC Intrepid II)?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

irover

Dec 19, 2007
Sweden
the lever is supposed to be held firmly by the screw, it should not move like that. Also someone has changed it before, because the part you have found is a piece of a broken lever. Maybe that person did not sucessfully tighten the screw. Use lots of WD40 and try to remove the screw, clean it and put it back.

I have a Vermont Casting Intrepid II where all of a sudden my damper won't open by the turning the handle.
It will close (not really working to a 100%), but then when I want to open it the damper it will not fall down as it should so I have to push it open manually (and get smoke in the room)
I'm attaching two pictures showing what it looks like when open and closed.
The "d-plate" that can be seen on the pictures is a bit loose, but I do not know if it should be? Tightening or loosaing the screw holding the d-plate is "impossible"

Any ideas what the problem is? I spent more than an hour and I do not know what's wrong :-(
As long as it was working I did not care how it worked and now I can't figure out what's wrong.
I also found a small part in the botton of the stove and I do not know where it's coming from?

Attachments

• P1030395.JPG
    P1030395.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 452
  • P1030396.JPG
    P1030396.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 460
  • P1030401.JPG
    P1030401.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 365
I don't know why it wouldn't work. I'm not familiar with it. Does it just need cleaned? Packed ash or something in the pivoting areas? The broken piece sure looks like the thumb off of that lever. Is this what you are calling the D-plate? It would look as if it broke before and was replaced. Did you have the stove since new?

Steve

When I Moved in the stove was there so you are probably right that it's a piece of an old lever/d-plate.
When I open the damper the round bar is supposed to push towards the lower part of the lever, but it does not grip, but skips over it insted.

Came to think of something. Is the lever supposed to stay still in it's place? Now it moves and falls to the side when trying to open it. It can be see on the first picture.
What I mean is if the lever should stay in the position it has on the second picture all the time?

You may have something there. In the first picture, there is a stud coming threw from the back side of the picture. Is this supposed to be in a hole in the back of the thumb to keep it from falling over? You may have been correct in the first place by trying to tighten that screw. If it were replaced, they may have missed installing a spring washer of some kind, or just a plain washer to take up the extra room, or did not tighten it all the way, or it backed out then corroded to where you can not tighten it anymore. See if you can get behind it with your finger or something (a paper clip?) and see if you feel the hole for that stud to be in. I can't tell from the picture if it's a bolt sticking through there or a cast protrusion.

Steve

"When I open the damper the round bar is supposed to push towards the lower part of the lever, but it does not grip, but skips over it insted."

You know, I think you are correct in that it should stay in place as in the second pic. It makes since that this piece would be replaceable. It would get constant ware from abrasion whenever opening and closing the damper and would be considered a part for normal replacement instead of ruining the main casting.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.