Why would anyone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We liked our pellet stove so much we bought a second one last month to help heat our 3600 sq ft house. While they do cost a lot $3k - $5k installed, they will pay themselves off in coming years with the amount saved on oil. We cut our winter 2005/2006 $4500 oil bill by more than half with just one pellet stove last year, and that was after oil jumped in price in the winter 2007/2008. So last year alone we saved about $2600 on oil, spent about $750 on pellets, so it saved us $1850 in fuel costs in just one year. So one pellet stove will pay itself off in 2-3 years based on the price of oil two years ago (when it was cheaper than it is right now even though oil prices have dropped). The place we bought our pellet stove from said that they're installing pellet stoves every other day because people are so sick of the oil company games, we had to book two months in advance because they're so busy installing. So expensive yes, but will still knock oil costs down enough to be well worth it. I also believe that the low price of oil right now is only temporary, as more people turn towards more fuel efficient vehicles and home heating alternatives the oil companies will only raise the prices so they can keep getting their record profits. Even if we were just breaking even with the costs between oil and pellet stove I would be happy knowing I was taking money away from the oil industry and doing something better for the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.