WHY WOULD MY CHIMNEY SWEEP TELL ME THIS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohio woodburner

Feeling the Heat
Oct 4, 2009
NW Ohio
OK so I'm putting my new insert in this week so i figured a better have my chimney swept. I took my old old insert out, it had no liner and called the pro out. He came over and started to sweep and said i had some heavy creosote build up...it'd cost extra lol He swept it and then told me i had some major build up that it was soaked into my masonry, he got it the best he could. He said that he could use an acid wash on it but it would cost 400 and my house would stink. He said he could also use a mechanical device and whip it out of there but it probably would damage my clay. He said my third and best option would be to install my liner insulated of course but when i go to terminate at the cap don't use the supplied one because it would seal the chimney off allowing the soaked in creosote to heat up and fill my house with a smell that would last for months. He told me just to run my liner at least two inches above my clay liner and leave my existing rain cap on so the smell would rise up and out. HELP does this seem right ?

Maybe you need a second opinion.

Get a second/third opinion, a lot of those sweeps are charlatans (I'm being polite) not all but I've yet to find one here in Long Island that seems genuine. When they were here over the summer they told me I needed a new Terra Cotta Flue & were kind enough to give me an estimate. Meanwhile the flue looks fine, very little use, they did a lousy job & were offended when I pointed it out to them. Needless to say they'll never be called to do any work here again & will let other people know about their quality work :lol:

There is some truth to what he says....in any case, it's probably not a really good idea to line a chimney that is really dirty. If you were going to line it, then using the mechanical thingy first might be a good idea.

You should look up there yourself and perhaps get an idea of how bad it is. All chimneys that have been used will be dirty to a degree...but how bad?

Even another option might be to install the new insert...assuming it is a clean burner, and use it for a year while you use some of the chemicals like Ant-creosote. This can turn hard creosote to a powder which brushes off easier...so next year it should clean better.

ya i guess i was just curious if the liner was insulated would it really generate that amoount heat to heat that old flue up and make the hoouse smell

Maybe seal the top of your chimney for a couple days and wait and see if you smell anything before you do your new install.

I dont doubt what he says just wondered if anyone else heard of or ran into this problem

When i installed my insert i had my chimney cleaned first.
The sweep told me i didn't need a liner at all and i was wasting my money. "just put er in and light er up"
He also said my masonry chimney cap was "falling apart and in desperate need of repair".
He would fix it for a cool GRAND. After he left i got on the roof and found one small crack in the concrete.
Nothing was missing or loose, and i found it to be in great shape.
I got a tube of silicone sealant for 3 bucks and filled the small crack.
I guess i should have known better when he showed up with a homemade 2"x4" ladder.
Needless to say he was never called back. I have since bought a brush and clean my own liner.

Brad

Install a Backoffplate ot the bottom of the chimney liner where it passes threw the damper area at the top of the opening.
this should keep the unwanted smells out of the house and it will keep more heat in the house and out of the void in-between the liner and chimney

crazy_dan said:
Install a Backoffplate ot the bottom of the chimney liner where it passes threw the damper area at the top of the opening.
this should keep the unwanted smells out of the house and it will keep more heat in the house and out of the void in-between the liner and chimney

yep +1

bfunk13 said:
I guess i should have known better when he showed up with a homemade 2"x4" ladder.
Needless to say he was never called back. I have since bought a brush and clean my own liner.
Brad
:cheese: You guys are killing me tonight.

Where would one buy one of these elusive Back Off Plates. These are not standard pieces I would think, since "all fireplaces are not created equal", do you have to cut it to fit your particular installation?

Hello Blackmoose, I wish an outfit like yours existed in my neck of the woods, quality Chimney Technicians are rare as hens teeth down here.

Deep Fryer said:
bfunk13 said:
Brad
:cheese: You guys are killing me tonight.

Where would one buy one of these elusive Back Off Plates. These are not standard pieces I would think, since "all fireplaces are not created equal", do you have to cut it to fit your particular installation?

Hello Blackmoose, I wish an outfit like yours existed in my neck of the woods, quality Chimney Technicians are rare as hens teeth down here.

The piece of sheet metal is eight bucks at Lowe's in the duct work section. Tin snips cost $12 for the good ones.

Thank you BrotherBart, I guess the original chimney damper would have to be removed? Right now its still in place but has insulation stuffed around it and the SS liner.

Deep Fryer said:
Thank you BrotherBart, I guess the original chimney damper would have to be removed? Right now its still in place but has insulation stuffed around it and the SS liner.

Do what ya gotta do. Enjoy.

The one and only time a sweep has been allowed in my house, he said that he would never install an insulated liner because of the poisonous gases that come off them....

Did old insert seem to have sufficient draft before cleaning? also hace alook up or sown you chimney since you have the stove out. Is it constricted with buildup? Are the clay liners mis aligned? if so post some pics. If not mis aligned badly enough to see the edges showing install the new stove and fire it for a year then have a look and decide for yourself or post us some pics for opinions.
Hope my opinions and advice can be helpful

ohio woodburner said:
ya i guess i was just curious if the liner was insulated would it really generate that amoount heat to heat that old flue up and make the hoouse smell

Doubtful - but the old chimney may smell anyway (no matter what), especially on certain hot and humid days. Not much one can do about that anyway - except have a tight install.

I would remove whats in the fireplace now, and look up the chimney if I could. If the creosote looks shiney, your sweep may have a valid point. The product Craig mentioned, Anti Creosote or ACS, works well to dry out the glazed stuff. Just follow the directions. If you go this route, monitor the draft in your fireplace. In some cases the glaze can expand during the drying process and fall off the side of the chimney in sheets, potentially blocking the flue. Get the chimney reswept after the ACS treatment.

Ohio,

After using a non EPA stove for 26 years, I had a significant amount of shiny, hard creosote build up on the clay flue liner at the thimble connection. I got creosote odor every summer when it would get humid. When I got the new stove two years ago, I also installed a rigid liner. Beacause it is an interior chimney and it is in good condition, I didn't insulate. Before I installed the new ss cap, I layed down a 1" bushing on each corner of the chimney so the cap wouldn't lay directly on the masonry. This way, the chimney can breath and vent. I have had no creosote odors in the house since.

Jim

jbrown56 said:
Ohio,

After using a non EPA stove for 26 years, I had a significant amount of shiny, hard creosote build up on the clay flue liner at the thimble connection. I got creosote odor every summer when it would get humid. When I got the new stove two years ago, I also installed a rigid liner. Beacause it is an interior chimney and it is in good condition, I didn't insulate. Before I installed the new ss cap, I layed down a 1" bushing on each corner of the chimney so the cap wouldn't lay directly on the masonry. This way, the chimney can breath and vent. I have had no creosote odors in the house since.

Jim

Ohhhh, I like the bushing idea. Did you seal at the bottom of the chimey as well?

My stove is freestanding and the stovepipe connects into the chimney at the thimble. The only thing at the bottom of the chimney is the old clean out door that doesn't get used anymore. I clean the ash from the liner at the thimble.

Jim

Deep Fryer said:
Get a second/third opinion, a lot of those sweeps are charlatans (I'm being polite) ...

Is there any kind of area at this site for reviews of installers and sweeps ?
Seems like a great idea, if ther're all these shysters about ...

jim the bushing idea sounds like the way to go for me. Just one question are you getting rain or snow down the chimney? I hate to get that insulation wet

Status
Not open for further replies.