Why You Can't Rely On A Box Store

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Madcodger

I stopped in our local Lowes (Downingtown, PA) today to pick up a couple of things, and noticed that again, they had no pellets. HD in our area has been out for two weeks as well. I asked a store manager about it, and he said they were done for the season. Considering that we're only a little past halfway through winter, and have over 200,000 people without power right around the store after an ice storm on Wednesday, I told him I thought they were shutting it down a little early. He replied that they had sold twice as many as last year, and just based it on what they sold the year before (when they also ran out, so no wonder they didn't sell any late in winter!), and that they "don't want to get stuck with them".

I basically decided right then that other than an odd bag here and there to test a new brand when I see it, I'm done with box stores for pellets. My dealer went overboard trying to get good quality pellets for their customers, held the price as steady as they could, and although I paid about 10% more for them per bag, the quality is so much better that I end up saving $. Home Depot and Lowes couldn't care less about whether we have pellets, so why give them our money? Thankfully I should have enough to finish the season, but if I didn't, the box stores would be no help. To heck with them! I think it's time to start being loyal to good dealers, rewarding them and punishing the box stores by voting with our $.

HD headquarters in Georgia, that being said with thier fountains froze you'd think they would have a clue. They have all the mowers and patio gear out up here and pellets gone. Pellets were gone 1 st week of March last year as I was the one getting them because I couldn't see climbing a 8foot snow bank to get to my stash. I bought this years pellets from a store that carrys pellets all year. Only have to have a few more sub zero nights to be one of the coldest recorded winters. Still wrangling on what will be the propain prices for next season and it's impacting farming big time.

The guy was right. When you do business you have to do inventory planning based on past sales. Don't blame him if people didn't prepare ahead of time. Cordwood and pellets ain't something with wires or pipes to your house on demand. Should he have had a big selection of lawn mowers in January?

Just part of doing what we do to heat the house.

PS: Six or seven years ago HD slashed the prices on all things heating related the first week of January because it was looking like a mild winter. The whole East Coast got slammed the next week and they had already given everything away for chump change.

The guy was right. When you do business you have to do inventory planning based on past sales. Don't blame him if people didn't prepare ahead of time.
I'm not saying he isn't justified in being able to do inventory planning (although the ability of box stores to respond to local market conditions is laughable, with things often being ordered by some kid at a computer who has never actually used the products being ordered, if a human was involved at all). What I'm saying is that a local stove dealer that carries higher quality pellets at very reasonable prices, and that responds to local market conditions by making efforts to supply customers when they need it, deserves our business year-round, including the big pre-season buy.

And FWIW, it's EARLY February, and pellets have been flying out of their stores faster than just about anything. I sorta think that would continue given our weather, but when you keep having zero sales past a certain date BECAUSE YOU HAVE NO INVENTORY, and then keep planning your next year's inventory on those sales, you set up a circular cycle of stupid. But I guess that would require their "managers" to actually stop and think, and would get in the way of them building their big lawn tractor or patio furntiture displays (with a foot of snow on the ground and temps in single digits). Personally, I have enough to get me through the season. But my goal for next year is to buy no pellets from a box store unless I'm buying a bag for a "test and post" review. You do what suits you...

Reactions: Wildo
I agree, hate to deal with big box for anything. Unfortunately, it always come down to the $. If I can find a pellet house locally that has good prices, I will gladly take my business there.
Local Agway is about the closest for me, but I can't justify paying $260 a ton for NEWP, or $280 for Barefoots. Just doesn't equal out for me.

Yep. No pellets at my local Lowes either. It's just part of playing the game with the big box stores. Be glad you actually have the option of using local stove shops. There aren't any around here, and the nearest dealer is 40 miles away, and I'm not even sure if he carries pellets.

Stay pellet piggy, my friends.

Yep. No pellets at my local Lowes either. It's just part of playing the game with the big box stores. Be glad you actually have the option of using local stove shops. There aren't any around here, and the nearest dealer is 40 miles away, and I'm not even sure if he carries pellets.

Stay pellet piggy, my friends.
My stove dealer only sells to Customers who bought Harmans from them so there is always a supply of Energex ton pallets in the wharehouse few blocks from me.
that said, Our HD 1 mile away is out of pellets... I bought a ton of Stove Chows there last month.. Very ashy but also very hot.
they got a shipment of 22 tons last week of Green Supremes and sold out in 2 days... no biggie. wouldn't have bought anyway.
haven't read lot of good reviews of GS but never burned them..

I think it's time to start being loyal to good dealers
A good idea...BUT I am loyal to saving a buck. The whole reason I purchased a pellet boiler. I actually wish I could afford to be "discriminating"...BUT I cant. :( My pellet choice saves me over $500! It would be a different story if I only burned a few tons. I look forward to the day when I purchase by the 22 ton truck load.. cut them ALL out!!!

I agree, hate to deal with big box for anything. Unfortunately, it always come down to the $. If I can find a pellet house locally that has good prices, I will gladly take my business there.
Local Agway is about the closest for me, but I can't justify paying $260 a ton for NEWP, or $280 for Barefoots. Just doesn't equal out for me.

See the issue her is as you said it "if" pellet houses had reasonable prices. My local is over 300 a ton for the good stuff and MWP and NEWP are about $280. Where the box stores are 210-220. Why pay 30% more for the exact same product?
And as far as inventories go my friend had to call around the local shops to find pellets. They were out of a lot of brands as well.
The consumer needs to be smarter and better prepared and not blame their shortcomings on the box stores or local shops

Edit: I have for every year I owned my stove have bought from my local dealer during the Spring special. But after last year were I paid $280 a ton I may just load up at the box stores early in the season. It will save me about $400 bucks. It's a sad reality but $400 bucks is a pretty penny in my opinion.

That $400 helps the payback big time or for the possible repair. I figured that the last two months of cold weather and the extreme price of fuel made 50% of the Harman stove payback. Smart consumer? Watched propane delivery during the start of a blizzard. Why wait till the pilot goes out on the stove till you call for heating fuel:(

That $400 helps the payback big time or for the possible repair. I figured that the last two months of cold weather and the extreme price of fuel made 50% of the Harman stove payback. Smart consumer? Watched propane delivery during the start of a blizzard. Why wait till the pilot goes out on the stove till you call for heating fuel:(
Our dealer sells Energex premiums at 259.00 ton.. HD sells at 229.ton whatever brand they have.....
wouldn't kill me to pay 30 cents bag more at the dealer to be sure I'm not looking for pellets in the winter.
but I'm open to a ton or 2 at HD . [IF they have Stove Chows..].

wouldn't kill me to pay 30 cents bag more at the dealer
Im glad you are comfortable enough to be able to not watch pennies ! (Note not meant to be sarcastic in any way) but for me "I watch the pennies and let the dollars take care of them selves"

Now let me correct your math and show you my math.. the difference is closer to 60 cents a bag(see me watching the pennies) for me that price difference is equal to $300.00/ year And that is if I can make it on 10 tons and its not looking good as I sit here. That's 30,000 pennies! OR a lot of BEER

Reactions: Jacques909
Different sellers cater to different buyers. You might feel that anyone who runs out of pellets in Feb has to be a pi$$ poor planner too.
BUT ,I`m sure there are many pellet burning folks out there who simply don`t have enough money to buy his seasons heat needs all at once , or the space to keep it.
Thank god there are the big box stores with pellets available for those that do run out. Most stove dealers don`t have the up front cash , let alone the space to store large quantities.
With regards to their quality and price ? That can all too often be the penalty the financially burdened one has to live with.

Different sellers cater to different buyers. You might feel that anyone who runs out of pellets in Feb has to be a pi$$ poor planner too.
BUT ,I`m sure there are many pellet burning folks out there who simply don`t have enough money to buy his seasons heat needs all at once , or the space to keep it.
Thank god there are the big box stores with pellets available for those that do run out. Most stove dealers don`t have the up front cash , let alone the space to store large quantities.
With regards to their quality and price ? That can all too often be the penalty the financially burdened one has to live with.
No truer words been spoken! I try to purchase all my pellets by fall (a throw back to my wood burning days where all my wood was prepared and covered by heating season, ,,an excellent feeling closely mimicked by a pellet stack) One trick I'm willing to let go...buy on a zero interest credit card. storage is another story.

If we do not get our pellet supply in by December we would be climbing snowbanks to get them in. This year has been even worse. Who can take in anything with temps staying below zero? Only 20 days to break record sub zero days. HD trucks in extra wood and generators into hurricane areas, why not heating supplies?

After reading these comments, one thing usually seems to rise to the top.
People hate the box stores BUT... buy from them.

One thing box stores have a history of doing, is putting small local
guys out of business. Buying from small, local guys helps your local economy,
and, a local guy. the money stays close to home.
When he goes under, you will be able to deal with the cheaper box stores exclusively,
that run out in January.........

Dan

Dealers (stove) selling pellets actually seems kinda silly to a degree. I don't go to the car dealership to buy gas if I did I bet I would pay $5.00 a gallon at least to be "loyal".

Then buy your pellets from people that know nothing about the stoves or pellets,
but can point you to the refrigerator or flashlight battery aisle in an instant.....

I'd say the stove guy, or in my case, the guy that ONLY sells pellets,
and coal, is in a better position to give you a good product.
And will have it all year long.
My guy will not sell a cheap pellet.....

To each his own. That's what make the world go round..

Dan

Reactions: Big E and Madcodger
That's us. We can't afford to buy our seasons pellets in advance. We have plenty of room to store them, just no $$$

Im glad you are comfortable enough to be able to not watch pennies ! (Note not meant to be sarcastic in any way) but for me "I watch the pennies and let the dollars take care of them selves"

Now let me correct your math and show you my math.. the difference is closer to 60 cents a bag(see me watching the pennies) for me that price difference is equal to $300.00/ year And that is if I can make it on 10 tons and its not looking good as I sit here. That's 30,000 pennies! OR a lot of BEER
probably meant to say 30.00 a ton more.. not 30 cents....my goof..

I've only got 2 stores local enough for me to consider buying from. 1 is a total bum, i'd sooner punch him in the mouth than give him a dollar. The other guy won't sell to you, unless you bought a stove or ordered pellets from him last season. Maybe the economy is better than I thought, I'd never turn a paying customer away. I'm only into a ton and a half a season, it really doesn't kill me to buy Lowes or from a store locally. I buy my pellets after researching what's available through the home stores, stove parts are from the stove store.

Reactions: IHATEPROPANE
Went 2 winters a while back not burning pellets as few places had them,and they were over 300 ton.They have become popular again,and last 2 winters prices not bad,but everyone usually lets them run out end of feb-march(stupid).Have been getting oakies from local small town ace hardware at good price(no money this year to put in stock),and found out from manager I can always get them from warehouse,freight free,but a ton at a time.(3-5 day wait)So putting money away to do this in march or april,as, up here,like to have some pellets year round.This ace had no pellets until 2 years ago,has been good for bringing local prices down.Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.