Why You Can't Rely On A Box Store

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone's situation is different in some way. When I can buy my stash (3-4 tons) in the off season for $192/ton at TSC, that's a significant savings over some of the prices mentioned here. In some cases, that's nearly $100/ton savings. Sorry, guys, I own a Harman so it's the BB stores for me.....and more BEER in the fridge.

I am not a Harman owner but will be for the first time buying my next years stash entirely at the BB. My local will cost me $275 for MWP when I can get them or better for $219. Times that savings by 6-7 tons and that's a lot of money saved.
I still buy some stuff from them......grass seed, stove parts etc. Stuff that is in my opinion reasonably priced when compared to the BB

Guaranteed they wood be out of biz!
They contract purchase in the mills off season keeping the mill alive.
Raw material costs alone would be enough to sink a mill in a few off season months if they didn't move product.
Even if I had the liquid capital to start up a pellet I woodnt . The profit margin is minimal and market swings too great.
The fact that BB stores are selling pellets is gonna keep the mom and pop prices in check .

A friends dad used to own a hardware store. He sold out and now works at a box store(manager). Much less stress, Workes fewer hours and makes more cash even! He's even gonna get a retirement package which wouldn't happen if he kept the store. He'd only have SS and what the stores net worth would yeild. So their are winning in the long run! He even hired his long time helper IIRC.

Reactions: JustWood
I am not a Harman owner but will be for the first time buying my next years stash entirely at the BB. My local will cost me $275 for MWP when I can get them or better for $219. Times that savings by 6-7 tons and that's a lot of money saved.
I still buy some stuff from them......grass seed, stove parts etc. Stuff that is in my opinion reasonably priced when compared to the BB
Don't need to be a Harman owner to buy box store stuff. With home work you'll most likely find the same goods the pellet house has in a different bag. And for less nickles and dimes too!

I still spend some at the pellet house's. But I just can't spend all. Unless I lessen my taste in beer quality! :p

Reactions: IHATEPROPANE
I wonder what kind of pellets the box stores will get in from these next shipments? The pallets of Nation's Choice that sat at my Lowes all winter are finally gone. I suspect its going to be a while before we have 3 or more kinds of pellets to pick from... you'll take what they have in stock.

Reactions: jtakeman
I wonder what kind of pellets the box stores will get in from these next shipments? The pallets of Nation's Choice that sat at my Lowes all winter are finally gone. I suspect its going to be a while before we have 3 or more kinds of pellets to pick from... you'll take what they have in stock.
We have seen Hamers hit lowes in the NY area if it helps. Can't tell where your from?

Big box stores in the New Haven CT area are out. Interesting, that the Home Depots says they're done, but the Lowes say they hope to get more. I was told by a Lowes manager last year that their policy is to stock year round. One of the Lowes people today said there has been a strain on winter supplies. They're out of shovels too. And I haven't been able to find ice melt--the eco-friendly pet/plants safe kind--either.

I've had a stove since 2006. Until last year, we'd get a preseason supply of 3 or 4 tons. But living in an urban area with a postage stamp backyard, and no garage or other outbuildings, I'd store them under tarps which was a hassle. Inelegant. Last year, we decided to go a la carte on a just in time basis at box stores, which is a risk if they run out. But I have an oil furnace for days like this.

I live forty miles from the nearest stove store. And I don't think there are any local options in New Haven, other than big box? Know of any? Walmart?

Anyway, this is kind of moot until I figure out whether it's a jam or dead motor that's the reason the augur isn't feeding.

Done with it. Been hearing this killing off Mom and Pop stuff wrecking the country stuff since 1972 when a company named Best Products started the first multi-line discount stores.

Buying fuel ain't a morality issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.