Why you need to have your unit inspected

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kennyp2339

Minister of Fire
Feb 16, 2014
IMG_2513.JPG IMG_2515.JPG
This is a zero clearance unit, I spoke with the clean up crew, said the home owner didn't use it for years and decided over Xmas break to fire it up, apparently there was damage / rust holes at the connection from the top of the unit and chimney, the resulting heat cause this.
So a word of warning to those that buy new homes or haven't used there fireplace in years, please get it inspected before using.
*Also is using a prefab chimney that's boxed out, make sure you have a cap and everything is water tight.

Last edited:
Thats bad but not as bad as it could of been...

So a word of warning to those that buy new homes or haven't used there fireplace in years, please get it inspected before using.

Amen.

And everyone should inspect/clean their system regularly. Yearly is ideal. If in doubt, call a professional chimney sweep. The cost is much, much less than damage from a chimney fire or death form CO poisoning.

Stay safe everyone! :cool:

I had a ZC with chimney chase inside that PO had installed a Little Buck insert. When I bought the house I pulled the insert out and found melted steel and burned insulation. I sealed the flue and installed ventless gas logs. Last year I dismantled the whole thing and installed the setup in my avatar. When I was dismantling it I found more burned insulation that has fallen off the wall and onto the flue pipe.