1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
  1. newcomtd

newcomtd New Member

Loc:
    Ohio
    Hello,

I am looking for a medium sized fireplace inserted stove. I have found many models that meet my heating requirements. However, I have only found one with trim wide enough to cover my fireplace opening (Jotul 450 Kennebec). It is an arched opening, 47" wide and 33" tall at highest point of the arch. Does anyone know of an insert with trim big enough to cover this?

Thank you

(edit: picture added, please ignore the cleaning supplies in the fireplace)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. RSNovi

RSNovi Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Michigan
    When I had my Jotul 350 installed they had to fabricate a larger surround. It was originally designed off the Jotul extended surround. My fireplace was very wide, but not tall so no surrounds would fit my width.

[​IMG]
  3. newcomtd

newcomtd New Member

Loc:
    Ohio
    That is very nice insert and trim. I should add that the Jotul 450 is pretty much out of my price range. Otherwise I would just go with it.
  4. mellow

mellow Resident Stove Connoisseur

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
    Depending on if you want to get fancy with the surround or not you could have a local metal shop fabricate a surround to fit within your arch so you can keep that look.
  5. My Oslo heats my home

My Oslo heats my home Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore, MA
    +1 might need to have some custom fabrication to cover the space. BTW, I like the arched brickwork.
  6. mellow

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
    That fireplace is begging to have a rear vented free standing stove put in front. Not sure what your budget is but a woodstock would look sweet.
  7. Paul L

Paul L Member

Loc:
    Westcliffe, CO
    The Quadra-Fire Grand Voyager comes with an option for a 48 x 34 surround. Very happy with mine.
    [​IMG]
  8. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    Check the Regency I2400M.. It has an oversize faceplate that measures 48" w x 33" tall. That faceplate can be modified to fit your arched opening. I did it with my sister's install. Made a cardboard template & laid out the surround. Cut it with a jigsaw & benched it to fit.
  9. newcomtd

newcomtd New Member

Loc:
    Ohio
    I really like the arch too. I'm hoping to keep this project around $3,500 so custom metal work is probably out of the question. I am a woodworker so I was wondering if I could build wood trim to cover any gaps between the metal insert trim and the fireplace opening. This would allow me to maintain the arched look. I don't know enough about the clearance requirements yet though. Any thoughts on this approach?

My budget is $3,500. Do you mean a stove that would sit up on the hearth?

That is a great looking installation but that model is out my price range.

Thanks!
  10. mellow

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
    How many square feet are you looking to try and heat?
    What is the overall size of your fireplace?
  11. My Oslo heats my home

My Oslo heats my home Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore, MA
    I kind of agree with Mellow too, you might enjoy the best of both worlds with a free standing stove and the opening of the fireplace. Your fireplace is too nice looking to cover up. There are stoves that will fit that space and the flue will come out of the back of the stove and up. A consideration :)
  12. mellow

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
    Depending on how much you want to heat you could possibly get a Refurbished Woodstock Fireview and install the liner yourself and be within budget, a lot of variables in that however.

[​IMG]
  13. newcomtd

newcomtd New Member

Loc:
    Ohio
    I am trying to heat a 1,600 square foot two story house, crawlspace foundation. Fireplace is on the first floor, which is about 1,000 square feet. The fireplace opening is 48"x33" and is 26" deep at the base, in the center. The firebox tapers in on all 3 sides. I will get those dimensions this evening.
  14. Heatsource

Heatsource Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CA
    also, some hearth shops make nice custom surrounds on site
    (we do)
  15. Nick Mystic

Nick Mystic Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western North Carolina
    I seriously doubt you can put any combustible wood that close to your insert. The area you are talking about is probably the hottest spot surrounding and insert. I agree with several of the other posters regarding how nice free standing stoves look in front of those arched fireplace opening. As you can see in my avatar I have a Jotul F 600 sitting in front of (and partially inside) my fireplace.
  16. newcomtd

newcomtd New Member

Loc:
    Ohio
    I just got a line on a very gently used Jotul 550 Rockford. I think I am going to try and get it. This insert is rated for 1,800 square feet. I know manufacturers' ratings are not very reliable because there are so many variables. My concern is that this thing is going to cook me out my 1,600 square foot house. Should I get a smaller unit?
  17. RSNovi

RSNovi Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Michigan
    I would go for it. My parents have the 450 which sticks out of the fireplace more. It throws good heat, but I would think you could build smaller fires and/or run the fan slower.
  18. Bones

Bones Member

Loc:
    Tennessee
    I love the arch and would just fabricate a surround like I did on my Osburn....not that hard to do....