Widow Maker!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I'll wait for the wind on this one. :zip: This is a sugar maple up top, I had to make another trail so I could get around to other areas safely.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1349-1.jpg
    100_1349-1.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 761
  • 100_1350.jpg
    100_1350.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 724
  • 100_1351.jpg
    100_1351.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 742
Yes Zap, that one could be a bit nasty, but I doubt the wind will do all the work. A little tug here and a little tug there and it will be down. You might even cut some off the butt of the one before giving those tugs.

+1, time for the winch and some creative compression cuts. looks to be lodged in that crotch pretty good.
safety 1st.

mainstation said:
+1, time for the winch and some creative compression cuts. looks to be lodged in that crotch pretty good.
safety 1st.

Back 5 - 6 feet from the crouch it's starting to rot, my worry is once it cuts lose which way does it go. I did one (beech hung up) I thought when it cut loose it would shoot back off the stump end (broken off 25 feet in the air on the stump end, hung up in the crotch of another tree) when it cut loose it went back 25 feet off the stump end, last one I did. I was cutting from the end hung up in the crotch.

What way would this one go?

zap

Well, I guess if you are not adverse to cut the "leaned on tree" down you could do a small bottom notch on the leaned on tree (pic 1)(pic 3) and have it try and fall 45 degree to the Right (3 o'clock) from a Birds eye view of the crotch snare. But use a winch and safe pull rope to pull them both down slowly. But safety 1st again.

Lake Ontario blesses us with all the wind required to clear these up. It is only a matter of time, not worth the risk.

SolarAndWood said:
Lake Ontario blesses us with all the wind required to clear these up. It is only a matter of time, not worth the risk.

I can wait, it's been dropping for the last two years.

zap

Run up and kick it real hard, then run away really really fast. :lol:

I'm with Dennis - a proper length of chain or strap on a tow vehicle and give it a couple of 90 deg tugs here and there. It will come down with you at a safe distance away.

Jags said:

I'm with Dennis - a proper length of chain or strap on a tow vehicle and give it a couple of 90 deg tugs here and there. It will come down with you at a safe distance away.

You can put the chain or rope around the hung up tree and I'll be in the tow vehicle. :zip:

zap

zapny said:
Jags said:

You can put the chain or rope around the hung up tree and I'll be in the tow vehicle. :zip:

zap

Not claiming super man qualities or anything, but I actually do that quite often.

Buddy - I'd help ya out if I was a little closer. :coolsmile:

thats the kinda tree you see some kid mangle himself on, on America Funniest Videos. Get the local kids up on top of it jumping up and down, bring your camera, its an easy $10,000 and a meet and greet with Tom Bergeron.

Jags said:
zapny said:
Jags said:

zap

Not claiming super man qualities or anything, but I actually do that quite often.

I understand Jags, I only have been running a chainsaw since 2003 on the lot the house is on and 2007 on our woodlot so I'm a little cautious on hung up trees.

zap

zapny said:
Jags said:
zapny said:
Jags said:

zap

I understand Jags, I only have been running a chainsaw since 2003 on the lot the house is on and 2007 on our woodlot so I'm a little cautious on hung up trees.

zap

Absolutely and ALWAYS.

Hello Zap...for a guy that cuts lots of wood (yourself) a little hangup shouldn't be a problem. I'd pull the damn thing down with whatever I had handy even if I had to use a hand winch. I've had my share of hangups...in more then 35 years of cutting... and managed to pull them down one way or another. Doesn't look like much of a problem from here. Oldmainer

Status
Not open for further replies.