Wife and I are on the splits........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pshking

Nov 7, 2010
Northern Ky
My wife has now decided that the "Fun" that i have splitting wood is now one of her favorite things to do as well. The weight of the maul is a little heavy, so thinking about getting her(me) a Fiskars SS.

Today was only her 3rd time trying to split wood, and she did really good. Today we finished splitting about 18 24" oak rounds and she never gave up.

I would bust the rounds into 4-6 wedges and she would finish them up. It actually gave me time to rest a bit and stack.

Attachments

• 586626087_2086272328_0[1].jpg
    586626087_2086272328_0[1].jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 562
You have a good wife there. You better keep her happy. I hate swinging a sledge or maul and only do it when I have too. I rent a spittler when I get a lot of wood cut. How is she feeling the day after?

I wonder if she thinks that you love your wood pile more than her, and THAT'S why she's out there "doing" it with you?! Women tend to conjur up thoughts like that, about the stuff we fellas like to spend our time doing (bowling, hunting, scuba diving, fishing, etc......)

-Soupy1957

pking, keep her at it as long as she is willing. Time spent together like this is one of the most beautiful things about marriage. For years my wife was always by my side while out cutting wood until she no longer could physically do any more. As much as I enjoy working alone, I really do miss her out there. Even if she doesn't do much, it is just nice working together or just having her around.

I say let her keep on splitting......but I would think long and hard before buying a fiskars. Read about those couple of accidents over in the Gear room before you think more of buying one. But, it might work because I see you split by putting one log on top of another. I just never could do much splitting that way. Splits much easier when leaving the log on the ground.

She's a keeper! My wife helps run the splitter at times and its enjoyable for both of us. If you attach a used tire to your base round.... and split inside it, her job will be much easier.
Enjoy..

I'd get a lighter maul or a fiskars. It is more fun spliting with a tool she can easily handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.