Wife Approval Rating- Lopi Liberty (by male chauvinist)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kenny chaos

Minister of Fire
Apr 10, 2008
Rochester,ny
We reached quite a milestone in the use of our Lopi Liberty last night.
I was feeling a little under the weather and was snuggled on the couch under my favorite blanket, a colorful, handwoven, cotton blanket, I picked up in Mexico over thirty years ago.
The wife and I were watching NCIS and I was kind of dozing in and out. At one point, the wife left the room and a few moments later she returned stating, "The stoves all set for the night." I just about laid an egg! She hates fire and I know she doesn't listen to me about things like using the stove. Even when she does, she always has her own way of doing things and of course it's always the wrong way.
Wide awake now and with an awful feeling of angst coming over me, I asked in my calmest voice, "You did?"
Looking over to the stove I see it's in full inferno mode; "Looks pretty hot."
"Don't worry dear, the by-pass is closed and I'll shut the primary down as soon as it hits 400."
"Good for you" I cheered. "I'll get the air for ya though." I rush to the stove and peak inside and see a large split buried in the back and another large split in front, the stove top approaching 400. Perfect!
She really, and I mean really, loves this stove.

kenny chaos said:
I was feeling a little under the weather and was snuggled on the couch under my favorite blanket, a colorful, handwoven, cotton blanket, I picked up in Mexico over thirty years ago.
The wife and I were watching NCIS and I was kind of dozing in and out. At one point, the wife left the room and a few moments later she returned stating, "The stoves all set for the night." I just about laid an egg! She hates fire and I know she doesn't listen to me about things like using the stove. Even when she does, she always has her own way of doing things and of course it's always the wrong way.
Wide awake now and with an awful feeling of angst coming over me, I asked in my calmest voice, "You did?"
"Don't worry dear, the by-pass is closed and I'll shut the primary down as soon as it hits 400."
"Good for you" I cheered. "I'll get the air for ya though." I rush to the stove and peak inside and see a large split buried in the back and another large split in front, the stove top approaching 400. Perfect!

Too much information, man. . . .

Kenny, there is no reason a wife cannot operate a wood stove! People are wrong who don't let them do it. Especially those who, like us, heat 24/7 with them. My wife even insists upon bringing in the wood needed for night and the next morning! And I absolutely love it when I've been working outdoors in the winter and come in to a nice warm home or I come in from hunting and am frozen to the bone and walk into a nice toasty house! Sweet.

Ok my Woodstove Wife is great about building and tending the fire, is starting to come around about us needing better dried/seasoned wood, and will even pull the wagon up front and stack on the front porch... But I still wind up bringing it from the back of the stacks to the front, splitting it down, and lugging the wood into the house :) I wish she insisted on bringing in the wood for the night & next morning! :)

From experience - some wives do not have the patience and/or the desire to tend to the stove to the level of detail that we would like when we are not around or not able to do it ourselves. It has nothing to do with them not being ABLE to do it.

I have got her to the point where she remembers to stoke the stove when she gets home from work - always well before me - but she is not too enthusiastic about dealing with the nighttime procedure.

My wife does everything but split wood. And she stacks more neatly than I do. Since we got the gas splitter this year, we're working on the splitting part too. Rick

For years I traveled all of the time and my wife keep the home fires burning. Well, or a boyfriend I didn't know about did. :coolsmirk:

My wife didn't grow up with a woodstove, but it took all of a week to get in the groove. She's cheaper than am I, so it wasn't hard to get the stay warm, burn wood. One thing I like about the Oakwood. Just close the damper.
She'll stack wood, but other than that we operate on a "magic wood shed" princple.

Dill said:
..... "magic wood shed" princple.

Now that right thar was funny. "Magic wood shed"...Ha,ha,ha.

LOL, there are no "boy" jobs or "girl" jobs, just personal preferences that some people may translate as applying to a gender. It's just me (a female) here, so guess what--I cut wood, split it (manually, no gas or electric powered splitter here), stack in the sheds, haul it to the house, operate the stove. Heck, I even installed the new stove. So if your wife isn't interested in your stove, it isn't because she's female. It's her personal preference and for every woman who is not interested in wood stoves there's at least one male out there who shares that lack of interest. Just like there females out there who share an interest in wood stoves and burning wood. So remember, this isn't an all-boys club.

InTheRockies said:
LOL, there are no "boy" jobs or "girl" jobs, just personal preferences that some people may translate as applying to a gender. It's just me (a female) here, so guess what--I cut wood, split it (manually, no gas or electric powered splitter here), stack in the sheds, haul it to the house, operate the stove. Heck, I even installed the new stove. So if your wife isn't interested in your stove, it isn't because she's female. It's her personal preference and for every woman who is not interested in wood stoves there's at least one male out there who shares that lack of interest. Just like there females out there who share an interest in wood stoves and burning wood. So remember, this isn't an all-boys club.

For the subject line I was going to write, "So easy, a caveman can do it", but that's just not true.

Gee I thought I was watching a rerun of little house on the parrie

Hanko said:
Gee I thought I was watching a rerun of little house on the parrie

LOL, no. Just the reality for all of us "wood burners." Then, I guess our present day practices are a throw-back to pioneer days when there was no central heating or robust fossil fuel heating systems. Bet a lot of those pioneers would love to have had redundant heating systems like many of us "modern" wood burners do. :)

Women can do anything that men can do...some even better ;)

Jags said:
Dill said:
..... "magic wood shed" princple.

Now that right thar was funny. "Magic wood shed"...Ha,ha,ha.

Yup she'll tell you its magic. As long as its full I can magically go hunting all of november.

I benefit from the Magic Clothes Hamper at my house and have no idea how it works, so it doesn't bother me too much to be the secret behind the Magic Wood Shed, and to be the one who gets to play with the fire 95% of the time.

Eddy

EddyKilowatt said:
I benefit from the Magic Clothes Hamper at my house and have no idea how it works, so it doesn't bother me too much to be the secret behind the Magic Wood Shed, and to be the one who gets to play with the fire 95% of the time.

Eddy

+1. As Yamaha Girl stated, women can do everything a man can do (and some even better). I can tell you right now I cannot fold laundry very well and my better half would end up re-folding it. I'll haul the laundry out to the washer and start it up, but she does the rest. For the wood stove I split/stack and start the fire. The better half can too, but admits I do it better (she does know the rules of engagement for re-load
post06thumbsup.gif
)

Eddy[/quote]

+1. As Yamaha Girl stated, women can do everything a man can do (and some even better). I can tell you right now I cannot fold laundry very well and my better half would end up re-folding it. I'll haul the laundry out to the washer and start it up, but she does the rest. For the wood stove I split/stack and start the fire. The better half can too, but admits I do it better (she does know the rules of engagement for re-load
post06thumbsup.gif
)[/quote]

I'm not sure that's what Yamaha was referencing. ;-)

kenny chaos said:
I'm not sure that's what Yamaha was referencing. ;-)

Hey now...don't be bad, you'll get kicked outta here...lol. I was saying women can do things such as riding a bike, stacking wood, racing cars (Danica Patrick!)...those type of things :p

Bigg_Redd said:
kenny chaos said:

Too much information, man. . . .
Proof that the wife is the one who actually wrote it. (Oh, no wait, it could've been a girl friend. Oops)

My 92 year-old grandma tells how she used to tend 3 fires 24/7 and cooked on a wood-fired stove/oven while my gramp was away in the war. All this in addition to raising my dad and taking care of her mother. If I could get her near a computer, I'm sure she'd get a good laugh over how much we futz over our stoves! God bless her!

Hey now.... I do just as many things as my husband.. (Until last March when a flat bed tow truck backed into me as I drove by him)
Now all I can do is keep the fire going. Which is probably fine with him because if it weren't for me being laid up our house would be freezing, because I'd be out hunting!

Ahhh, home from work at last ;-P

I think it's pretty interesting turn this convo has taken :)

I've talked to guys while I was inline at the post office, and they burn wood for heat. Kinda cool how there was no gender issue at all in the conversation, we were both on the same page :coolsmile:

My SO was wunnerful this weekend. He loaned me his chain saw so we could have 3 saws (my daughter, her friend, and I) going to cut up the tree and canopy cuts ,that were taken down by the tree dude, and the trees that were cut & dropped at my request LIPA. We moved wood to the deck, piled the cut wood to get ready to split (all oak :p ), etc. That's what we did all afternoon.

He went home to watch football >:-( He did mention when he came back for dinner (which I also prepared, with salad & brownies), how nice and toasty the house was, though :smirk:

He also asked if I knew how to work a splitter . They may never find what is left of his body, if he keeps going down this rocky road ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.