Wife shaking her head

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveswoodhauler

Minister of Fire
May 20, 2008
Massachusetts
So, I've been trying to find free pallets to stack wood lately with no luck.
So when taking my son to band practice last night, I saw a pallet out by the side of the road next to a neighbors house. (was put out with the trash last night, as today is pickup)
Flash forward to this morning....at the bus stop with my kids, and I remember the pallet....so I get the kids on the bus and walk down the street....not one pallet but TWO!!!...score...so I am walking down the street with 2 pallets in my hands, and folks are just driving buy lookin at me weird.
I start headin up the driveway, and I see my wife in the window lookin at me wondering where the hell I was, as the bus came and went and I wasn't back yet.
I walk back in the house, and she just gives me this odd look like its takes a certain type of person to get excited over a few free pallets :)
At least her xmas shopping will be easy for me :)

She may not understand you Dave . . . but rest assured . . . we do . . . and yes . . . you are perfectly normal. ;)

LOL..... as Jake said, we get it, you are perfectly normal... at least in our eyes (which may not be saying much).

daveswoodhauler said:
...she just gives me this odd look like its takes a certain type of person to get excited over a few free pallets :)...

Of course, you understand that she's correct, right? :lol: Rick

Of course she's always right, lol...I pick my one battle a year ;-)

I walk back in the house, and she just gives me this odd look like its takes a certain type of person to get excited over a few free pallets
At least her xmas shopping will be easy for me

:lol: Good grab Dave! You have me laughing man. I was thinking of asking my wife for five cord of wood ordered cut, split and delivered for Christmas. Boy that would save me a bunch of work. I stopped at my brothers business the other day and grabbed 5 pallets he had out back. Had them stacked in the back of the truck and tied down. When I picked up my youngest at her grandparents they looked in the back of my truck and said, "What do you have in the back of your truck?" Pallets for stacking my wood on. "Oh, those are good for that." They sorta had a "no expression" look on their faces.I'm not sure if they think I might be a little touched in the head or not. :)

What's abnormal is how long you waited to get them! Next time move faster or you may lose out to someone else..

Ray

Wow Dave, you would be easy peasy to buy for....for xmas....
we have two tractor stores nearby that have signs begging for people to come and take their pallets away!
Imagine the driveway....full of pallets with big red bows on them... :) :lol: and a case of Dodfish Head right on top...priceless!

Hey
You took care of business first, kids on the bus.
Some may have had the kids carrying them, then driven them to school :lol:

firefighterjake said:
She may not understand you Dave . . . but rest assured . . . we do . . . and yes . . . you are perfectly normal. ;)

Pretty much. A pallet is 8000 btu/lb. Average 20lbs. That's a gallon of heating oil.

GAMMA RAY said:
we have two tractor stores nearby that have signs begging for people to come and take their pallets away!
Imagine the driveway....full of pallets with big red bows on them... :) :lol: and a case of Dodfish Head right on top...priceless!

I love that vision, well, except for the beer part ( not a beer fan, sorry guys & gals ;-) )

I love pallets. I'm down to 4 extra right now for stacking.

With 9 cord sitting here
cool-smiley-019.gif
, I'm gonna need more pallets, for sure.

Erin better not read this post
laughing-smiley-017.gif

GAMMA RAY said:

Uh Oh....I discovered the Dogfish 90 Minute imperial Ipa.....not going to post after this :)

bogydave said:
Hey
You took care of business first, kids on the bus.
Some may have had the kids carrying them, then driven them to school :lol:

Some of us woulda made the kids carry 'em then make 'em walk to school

Uphill. In the snow. Both ways.

Our hardware store in town lets me take as many as I want. Lots of places just want them gone, or they have to pay to get rid of them.

Perfectly normal, trust me, they just don't get it.

To me thats a score!

An 8' stack of pallets will burn harder and is a much greater fire hazard than an open 55 gallon drum of diesel fuel. Warehouses are required by insurance companies not to store them inside because they will burn so furiously as to overpower the suppression system. Its the main reason companies can't switch to plastic pallets.

Status
Not open for further replies.