Wife wants a Stihl chainsaw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Danno77 said:
I do have to agree, though, that the "Chainsaw Chick" wouldn't be near as pretty if she was sporting chainsaw scars. I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, though, because I'm so dang pretty it would be a shame for me to get scarred, too. (note the sarcasm)

The only way we will really know, Danno, that you are truely pretty, is if you post a pic of your wife so we have something to contrast you against

Bad as I hate to agree! +1

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Danno77 said:
I do have to agree, though, that the "Chainsaw Chick" wouldn't be near as pretty if she was sporting chainsaw scars. I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, though, because I'm so dang pretty it would be a shame for me to get scarred, too. (note the sarcasm)

The only way we will really know, Danno, that you are truely pretty, is if you post a pic of your wife so we have something to contrast you against
I only post this picture because it has the pink shirt that i referred to before... Beth isn't really blonde. this is a couple years old now.

Attachments

• IMG_0573 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0573 (Small).jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 387
Umm . . .Danno?!? :smirk:

Simple unsolicited advice. . . Do NOT allow her to use a chain saw. You, on the other hand should trade in your PPE for more life insurance!!

But seriously, my compliments on the bride and Baby! How did we get here talking chainsaws??

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Umm . . .Danno?!? :smirk:

Simple unsolicited advice. . . Do NOT allow her to use a chain saw. You, on the other hand should trade in your PPE for more life insurance!!

But seriously, my compliments on the bride and Baby! How did we get here talking chainsaws??

LOL Darn sure know I cant pull off Pink!

Your family is much better looking than your Avitar pic. Speaking of Avitar pics "Iseedeadbtu's,Is that your Wife in your avitar? last year I thought she was the one talking on here.I remember A referance to a girl at a ski resort in hot tub with a bottle of Johnnny Walker>> Maybe you were out of town and she cut in???

:coolsmile: :lol: :coolsmile: :lol:
And to think I nearly missed the banter today because it's in the 50's and I was gonna go get some Aspen to save some Oak . . . . :gulp:

I have got to get out in the fresh air more often!!!

smokinjay said:
You see how hot she is, I'll wear just about anything she tells me to.

Danno77 said:
smokinjay said:
You see how hot she is, I'll wear just about anything she tells me to.

Yeah me too just glad the pink thing has not come up yet! lol Oh and she likes running my 192t!

Attachments

• deanne.jpg
    deanne.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 524
Guys... Im thinking your priorities my be skewed. Too many wood jokes here so Ill just leave it alone. I think taking your ladies logging with you may be a distraction and therefore a safety concern. Just sayin.

Jamess67 said:
Guys... Im thinking your priorities my be skewed. Too many wood jokes here so Ill just leave it alone. I think taking your ladies logging with you may be a distraction and therefore a safety concern. Just sayin.

Yeah I dont seem to get much cut! (but I am 3 years ahead) lol

It's not any different for a woman to use a chainsaw than it is for a man. It needs to be powerful enough to do the job she needs it to do, it needs to be light enough she can control it easily, and she needs to like how it feels. The only possible difference might be that she has less upper body strength, but if she can curl 20 pounds or so easily, she should be able to use a chainsaw just fine. I'm 110 pounds soaking wet and I was using chainsaws when I was teenager and even scrawnier.

I've only ever used a tophandle saw, so I can't comment on that. Unless she tries to use it one-handed, I don't really see the problem.

I'm not even going to comment on the scars thing because most of mine are in places my husband wouldn't like me posting on the internet. The kind of woman who wants to chop her own wood is PROBABLY not a woman who gives a crap about scars and is just as likely to tell the funny story behind them. Ask me about the time I fell of a horse into a prickly pear patch. Actually don't, because that's a very bad memory. =P

~Rose

RoseRedHoofbeats said:
It's not any different for a woman to use a chainsaw than it is for a man. It needs to be powerful enough to do the job she needs it to do, it needs to be light enough she can control it easily, and she needs to like how it feels. The only possible difference might be that she has less upper body strength, but if she can curl 20 pounds or so easily, she should be able to use a chainsaw just fine. I'm 110 pounds soaking wet and I was using chainsaws when I was teenager and even scrawnier.

I've only ever used a tophandle saw, so I can't comment on that. Unless she tries to use it one-handed, I don't really see the problem.

I'm not even going to comment on the scars thing because most of mine are in places my husband wouldn't like me posting on the internet. The kind of woman who wants to chop her own wood is PROBABLY not a woman who gives a crap about scars and is just as likely to tell the funny story behind them. Ask me about the time I fell of a horse into a prickly pear patch. Actually don't, because that's a very bad memory. =P

~Rose

LOL And agree that top handle saw my girl does very well with it!

Battenkiller said:
smokinjay said:
Darn sure know I cant pull off Pink!

Ha! I can't even pull off basic black.

This gal pulls off pink just fine. I think she could prolly handle a 192T as well, eh?

RoseInstallingScrews.jpg

Agreed.

As for rear-handle saws being safer? Well, they can get away from you, too... especially if you're an idiot. How do you cut your left leg from a horizontal kickback? No PPE either.

On AS today:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=152136

Turns out it happened to a dude instead of a gal, using the same "girlie saw" Echo CS-310 I recommended in a previous post.

Attachments

• Kickback Injury.jpg
    Kickback Injury.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 546
Just for the record . . .

Every wife/GF posted here is Hotter than the "WOW WOW" chainsaw chick. And further, if the 'real' gurls had the kind of pit crews the model had . . .well . . .there'd just be no comparison. Not only that . . .how bright can she be? I mean, she's usin an Echo afterall. :lol:

Jamess67 said:
Battenkiller said:
smokinjay said:
Darn sure know I cant pull off Pink!

Ha! I can't even pull off basic black.

This gal pulls off pink just fine. I think she could prolly handle a 192T as well, eh?

RoseInstallingScrews.jpg

Agreed.
+100

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Just for the record . . .

Every wife/GF posted here is Hotter than the "WOW WOW" chainsaw chick. And further, if the 'real' gurls had the kind of pit crews the model had . . .well . . .there'd just be no comparison. Not only that . . .how bright can she be? I mean, she's usin an Echo afterall. :lol:
lmao!

Danno77 said:
I only post this picture because it has the pink shirt that i referred to before... Beth isn't really blonde. this is a couple years old now.

Now, that is one seriously good looking family. My advice to you? Stay away from saws entirely... all three of you. ;-)

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 368
I appreciate the comments, but You don't have to tell me twice to keep the saws away from these two goofballs. Oh, and here's a picture taken this past weekend at the Timber. Photographer is the son and wife would kill me if she knew I posted a picture of her "Posing" but she really does look good IMHO. I've never met a tough girl that looked as good as she does. Pink stuff when she needs it and work gloves when it's time to get stuff done. She hasn't used a saw yet, but I would be pretty comfortable with teaching her to. Here's a third pic of her unloading my truck when I was really sick a couple of weekends ago.

Attachments

• DSCN1767 (Small).jpg
    DSCN1767 (Small).jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 330
  • DSCN1791 (Small).jpg
    DSCN1791 (Small).jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 425
  • DSCN1751 (Small).jpg
    DSCN1751 (Small).jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 342
Danno77 said:
I appreciate the comments, but You don't have to tell me twice to keep the saws away from these two goofballs. Oh, and here's a picture taken this past weekend at the Timber. Photographer is the son and wife would kill me if she knew I posted a picture of her "Posing" but she really does look good IMHO. I've never met a tough girl that looked as good as she does. Pink stuff when she needs it and work gloves when it's time to get stuff done. She hasn't used a saw yet, but I would be pretty comfortable with teacher her to. Here's a third pic of her unloading my truck when I was really sick a couple of weekends ago.

JUST AWESOME!

Danno77 said:
she really does look good IMHO. I've never met a tough girl that looked as good as she does. Pink stuff when she needs it and work gloves when it's time to get stuff done.

In your opinion? In anyone's opinion. :)

Yeah, Lady BK is the same way. Growing up the only girl with five brothers, four of them older... well, she learned the ropes early on. She's as feminine as all get out, loves frills and ruffles and flowers and kittens. She sews, bakes, knits, makes beaded necklaces and jewelry and such. But when the going gets tough, better get out of her way. She's pretty buff as well (just look at those arms), but in a non-muscle bound way. An artist friend says she has the perfect body for fashion because "everything just drapes well on her".

She plays with all kinds of fire as well, everything from bonfires to oxy-propane torches. Everything but the stove, that's my baby. ;-)

All that, but I'm still pretty wary about her using power tools. It's not a sexist thing, it's just that she doesn't seem to see where the danger lies. Then she doesn't want to believe it until proven.

Case in point...

That photo of her screwing the metal roof onto my shed wouldn't have been taken if she had her way. She wanted to get up on a ladder between the rafters and reach over all that exposed metal edge and put the screws in that way.

"What if you slip and come down on that edge with your neck?"

"Oh, don't be silly, that would never happen."

Apparently, she forgot what a metal edge did to our son's leg a couple years ago...

... Hope this doesn't spoil anyone's dinner.

Attachments

• Nic's-Leg.jpg
    Nic's-Leg.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 482
Southland said:
I was out shoping for a new chainsaw today with my wife. I'm trying to decide between the Husqvarna 346xp and the Stihl MS260. So we were at the Stihl dealer and she sees the 7lb MS 192T and wants it. While I can't stop her from buying it, I am discouraging her. I'm afraid she'll get hurt. She does know how to use power tools and builds small projects. Does anyone else have a wife/know a female who uses a chainsaw? If so, what brand/model/size?

On the plus side, she said if we buy both of the Stihl saws, we can probably get a better deal. :)

I wanted to give everyone an update and thank everyone for all of the good info. I've taken my wife in a couple of times to look at the saws. She really likes the MS 192 T over all of the other saws she looked at. So with her birthday next month, it'll be a MS 192 T along with a full set of protective clothing. She aways has something tool related on her birthday/christmas list each year and this year it's a chainsaw.

As for me, I got the 346xp. The Husqvarna dealer gave me a price I couldn't turn down. :)

It's your decision and you know your wife, of course, but I'm wondering if she would not want a top handle saw if she were told (say, by the dealer) that rear handled saws are safer for newbies and are better suited for firewood cutters.

Nevertheless, I think a chainsaw is just about the perfect gift for any occasion!

Status
Not open for further replies.