Wife wants to add another wood stove w/ a pretty flame show

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is really nothing wrong with a properly installed and properly operating VF fireplace. Much if the time people don't have them serviced often enough, or ever for that matter. If they are clean and installed properly very little odor is omitted. Chemicals, candles, scents will all mess with a VF making odor as it burns. Some LP units will make more odor than natural units. I wouldn't want one in a small closed up space, but they are ok when used for their intended purpose. Besides, once the Jotul is in its not gonna get used near as much. I'd even bet her chair ends up in there with the stove!

This is one of the rare times when I think we'll have to agree to disagree. Too often these units are not well maintained or sized correctly for the room air volume. And they often are run for more hours than is recommended. At best one has a lot of water vapor, CO2 and some CO dumping into the room. Why would one want that when a vented unit does none of this?

Reactions: HotCoals
Here are some actual calculations: http://energysmartohio.com/blog/can-ventless-fireplaces-make-too-much-carbon-dioxi
The CO2 concentrations can get pretty high under the assumptions used in the article but not to dangerous levels. Those calculations also assume 8 hrs of continuous operation at a pretty high output. The most important advice IMHO is in this quote:
"Any combustion process can also produce CO (carbon monoxide), which I will not be looking at. These units offer a high excess air combustion environment, and it is difficult to predict the amount of CO, and nearly every house has a CO alarm. If yours doesn't, get one before finishing reading this article. Seriously, go to the hardware store right now. The website will be here when you get home." (bolding added)

I would say, make sure it is inspected regularly and don't use it for an extensive period of time.

This is one of the rare times when I think we'll have to agree to disagree. Too often these units are not well maintained or sized correctly for the room air volume. And they often are run for more hours than is recommended. At best one has a lot of water vapor, CO2 and some CO dumping into the room. Why would one want that when a vented unit does none of this?
That's why is I said they are ok when used for their intended purpose. But you're right, often people just throw them in and use them. People go for it because its so much cheaper and they get caught up in the efficiency numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.